Miles Before Death - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry Miles Before Death

Realistically speaking, how many miles should a 6.0 Diesel Owner expect out of his/her truck?

I took my '06 F-250 into my local Ford Dealer because we had diagnosed a head gasket issue. They get it torn down, and my mechanic tells me that the driver's side head bolts were really tough to get broken loose but the passenger side wasn't all that tough. When we look at it, you can tell that the gasket failed on the passenger side. Sent off the heads to the machine shop and find out that the driver side is ok, but the passenger side will need to be replaced. (That'll be another 1200-1500 bucks, thanks for playing.)

I call Ford Customer Relations (A.K.A. Let's ***** about the dealer) hotline and proceed to tell the lady what problems I'm having and what the mechanic told me. I tell her I realize that I've got 198,000 miles on the truck, but that I feel that since we can clearly see the problem was a problem with the torking of the head bolts, I think they should be able to help me out somehow. Long story short, I have to go to her supervisor and all he did was call my dealer to find out if they could help me a little and then tell me that that was as far as Big Blue was going to go.

Realizing that I'm out of the warranty period, am I expecting too much for Ford to ease just a tiny bit of my frustration? Should I be satisfied that it made it to 198,000 miles? Shouldn't we all expect at least 400k miles out of our 6.0's and cement my argument for "not quite half life but is still costing me a ton to fix their issue"?

Thanks in advance for your comments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 03:10 PM
The Silent Service

On the bright side, your headbolts lasted 200K. Most folks would junk the truck, or part it out vise rebuilding it at that mileage. I'm not sure what you expect Ford to do to fix a truck with your kinda mileage. You have a choice here, rebuild it and get another 200k or more out of it. Or part it out/junk it. Since you've already got 200k out of it, and I'm assuming you've taken care of the truck, I'd rebuild it in your shoes. I'm already expecting to have to rebuild mine around 250k-300k and make it to 500k. I had the EGR Cooler let loose a few months back, its the only reason I have studs now. I understand your frustration.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

It's definitely getting re-built. I'm just frustrated at the fact that what was originally going to cost around 5k just jumped to 6.5k with the addition of needing a head.

I'm pretty dissapointed that the prognosis is "lucky to have gotten 200k". Maybe I was naive when I bought the truck thinking that this baby is gonna last for at least 400k. It may well last that long, but only after throwing another 18% of cash at it. Not to mention all of the other fixes that I've had to pay for. Not buying the extended warranty is looking like one of the dumbest mistakes I have made in a while.

At least I was smart enough to buy the extended warranty for the F-250 I bought for my business. Pretty sure I bought that after paying thru the nose for a new oil cooler and egr cooler for the one that's in the shop now. Lesson learned....not once but twice.
Old 05-17-2011, 03:53 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
just to clarify...... your truck is at 200k and you feel you didn't get your moneys worth out of it?

I can't really tell by the wording of your posts but are you the original owner of the truck?
Old 05-17-2011, 04:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I'm the original owner. Maybe I'm just being a bit out of line. I realize that 200k is alot of miles. I guess my expectation of longevity was just a bit lofty. I also could be a bit shell shocked at the unexpected addition to the bill.

That's why I posted here. I've had pretty good vibes from reading alot of the posts and gotten alot of info as well. I'll stop ranting. It's tough when your expectations don't match reality. Oh well....best thing to do is just grin and bear it.

Thanks for the perspective check.
Old 05-17-2011, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

"I'm not sure what you expect Ford to do to fix a truck with your kinda mileage."

I wasn't looking for them to pay the bill. Although a bit of help with the damaged head may have gone a long way toward good will. The labor for what I was having done pretty much stays the same, but the added part kinda rocked me a little. No worries. I'll sleep on it and feel better in the a.m., I'm sure.

Thanks again.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:08 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red1Rooster69 View Post
I'm the original owner. Maybe I'm just being a bit out of line. I realize that 200k is alot of miles. I guess my expectation of longevity was just a bit lofty. I also could be a bit shell shocked at the unexpected addition to the bill.

That's why I posted here. I've had pretty good vibes from reading alot of the posts and gotten alot of info as well. I'll stop ranting. It's tough when your expectations don't match reality. Oh well....best thing to do is just grin and bear it.

Thanks for the perspective check.
I see where you're coming from. A lot of folks buy diesels because they expect them to run up to 300-400k. I bought my truck with studs, oil cooler, and egr delete already done, and am currently at 134k. If this truck doesn't make it to 300k I'm gonna be pretty irate. But i think with my mods, and the way I take care of it i shouldn't have a problem seeing those kinds of miles.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

well, i have 72,000 miles now. if i get to 200,000 K and nothing major im ging to be pretty happy. thats a lot of miles and if at that point i have to put a little back into her, i'm ok with it.
Old 05-17-2011, 05:50 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclonestroker View Post
I see where you're coming from. A lot of folks buy diesels because they expect them to run up to 300-400k. I bought my truck with studs, oil cooler, and egr delete already done, and am currently at 134k. If this truck doesn't make it to 300k I'm gonna be pretty irate. But i think with my mods, and the way I take care of it i shouldn't have a problem seeing those kinds of miles.

I had already decided to stud the heads and went with the bullet-proof diesel oil and egr cooler, and 4" exhaust among other things. I'm trying to fix it right so I don't have issues later on. I will make that 400k mark (hopefully).
Old 05-17-2011, 05:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gui272 View Post
well, i have 72,000 miles now. if i get to 200,000 K and nothing major im ging to be pretty happy. thats a lot of miles and if at that point i have to put a little back into her, i'm ok with it.
It all depends on what you consider major. But I've been thousand dollared to death with things after the original 100k warranty ran out. Wish I had gone with the bullet-proof system the first time I had to replace the oil cooler and egr cooler.

I hope you make it to 200k with no issues. I've paid enough for the both of us.....hehehe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.