Truck Shopping [Help Requested] - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 09:00 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Truck Shopping [Help Requested]

I have been in the market for an 06(ish) F-250 SD 6.0 PSD for about 2 weeks now and have been doing a lot of research (my wife says too much) on just about every site I can find relating to these trucks and the 6.0 PSD in general.

From what I can gather, so far, the primary concerns with the 6.0 PSD is the EGR causing head separation due to the high compression in the 6.0 (18:1 IIRC). The general consensus from what I can find is the Bulletproof EGR Delete / Cooler, complete fluid change, turbo cleaning as well as ARP studs & Black Onyx head gaskets. Below is my expected shopping list:

Full Bulletproof Kit - $2,195 (EGR Cooler, Oil Pump & Cooler) from BPD
ARP Head Bolts & Black Onyx Head Gaskets - $600 from RCD
Edge Insight Gauge - $400
SCT Programmer - $430 from InnovativeDiesel
Labor - $2 - 4k (based on others responses in other posts)

Total: $5,625 - $7,625 (based on forum posts haven't called to get quotes yet)

Now to my question. Since I already have the above price expectancy on the truck I buy what things should I look for in the truck in particular that could / should be of concern?

The general truck I'm looking for is:
2006 F-250 Lariat / King Ranch
4x4 w/ (FX4 package a plus)
6.0 Powerstroke
Crew Cab
<100k miles
<$25k

North Texas Truck Stop has a huge selection from what I've seen around the South DFW area and is where I've been keeping an eye (as well as auto trader / craigslist / etc) and was wondering if there's any other concerns / problems I should watch for in regards to these trucks in general.

My understanding is the best thing to do with any one of these trucks is to get an Oasis Report from a dealer (is this free? Can it be done online?) Is there a way to determine if any of the above modifications have been done without the necessity of tearing anything down / needing a mechanic?

I'm pretty mechanically inclined (Aerospace Engineer & done lots of gas & tractor engine work over the years) but this will be my first diesel truck so any help would be greatly appreciated. I did search the forums quite a bit and couldn't find a good resource for those buying a truck and what to look for as opposed to what to do with one you already own.

TLDR: I'm aware of the EGR problems and would like to know what to look for when buying an '06 6.0 PSD as well as how to determine if the upgrades have already been done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2011, 10:06 AM

ill let the 6.0 guys chime in on your questions!
Old 05-17-2011, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridiculously_necessary View Post

ill let the 6.0 guys chime in on your questions!
Thanks!

Oh and I guess an additional question to the above. Should I be concerned about the EGR / head studs / etc right after I buy the truck and have them done ASAP or should I get the gauges first and keep an eye on my EGT / EOT before doing so.

I guess I should have mentioned as well. The truck will primarily be my daily driver and a boat / TT hauler on the weekend (18' bass boat or 31' Airstream land yacht).
Old 05-18-2011, 10:36 AM

This is a handy Craigslist search tool

Texas
Oklahoma
Old 05-18-2011, 11:00 AM
Premium Member

Wow, you have done your homework! A lot will depend on what you plan to do to truck. If using a Tuner and running a hot tune you will want ARP's and gaskets. If mild tuning and don't just thrash your truck I'd find one that doesn't smoke, has a oasis report from dealer or call local dealer and have them run one for you(should be free) and wait for issues to show up before spending 4k that isn't necessary.

Check for FICM issues or hard starts. White smoke from exhaust will mean blown egr cooler or valve sticking as you are burning coolant. Does it puke coolant from Degas(overflow) bottle under load? Is so, might indicate blown head gaskets.

Get Edge Insight immediately and monitor oil temp/coolant temp and if more than 15deg difference you have a clogged oil cooler and needs replaced.

Good luck!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Your list is great except for the Black Onyx HG's. The current concensus is to stick with the OEM HG's. There have been numerous failures with the BO's.

Read the first link in my sig to understand what goes on with the 6.0 HG destruct sequence. The odds are that if you have good head gaskets and you have a good oil cooler, delete the egr cooler, and run a Cat EC-1 rated ELC coolant you may never need HG's or studs unless you plan on going after more than 425-450 rwhp. Also the Bulletproof Diesel remote oil cooler is a great piece and takes the clogged oil cooler completely out of the picture but the oem oil cooler is not a bad design if you use a coolant that doesn't have silicates.

If you can do your own work and by a truck that is in good shape you can bring it up to snuff for under $1000.

Take a monitoring device like and Edge Insight or a Scangauge II with you when you test drive the trucks and monitor the ECT and EOT. (you're going to need one anyway) If the delta is more than 15* you know there are issues involving at least oil cooler, egr cooler and possibly HG's. You can use that info as a bargaining position or use the knowledge to walk away and find a better truck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.