looking for better fuel milage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 11:05 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking for better fuel milage

ive got a 06 6.0l crew cab dually 4x4 auto with 4.10s. I tow a 26ft enclcosed trailer high top trailer. trailer wieghs 5,000 -6,000 with a 3,900 . So it really about 11,000 lbs fully loaded. and i get about 10 mpg at 70 mph. it truns 2,300 rpm ish maybe a little higher.

my after market parts include. egr delete, 5" exhaust no muffler, sct programmer .

Im just finishing up a complete engine overhaul new rings and bearings . all parts a re stock except black diamond headgaslets arp headstud, heads rebuilt plained 4,000 new valve guides.

I was thinking about putting my edge programmer back on.
Ive been thinking about putting a 3.55 or 3.73 gear or changing over to 22.5 tires I dont really care for the ruff ride of the 22.5 semi tires.
I havent changed the air intake its still stock. any other thoughts would be great. Im not trying to be a tight a$$. I ve been turning into a green hippy. Ive been in the auto indrusrty for 12 years now, and i have always drove vehicles that would piss off most prius drivers. I would like to leave less of a carbon foot print threw out my life. dam that sounds like a tree hugger!
I also been planning to build a all electric car to comute back and forth to work. just to set it straight i would never give up my diesel truck and i wont give up my mustang so lets keep the grilling to a min. thanks

Last edited by stnghlr; 05-15-2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: forgot some parts
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-16-2011, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnghlr View Post
I ve been turning into a green hippy. I would like to leave less of a carbon foot print threw out my life. dam that sounds like a tree hugger!

T.M.I....

Good luck with your repair, sounds like you've got it going on.
Old 05-16-2011, 04:02 AM
The Silent Service

A couple of things, first don't get rid of the SCT. If there is something in your programming you don't like, have your tuner work on it. The Edge doesn't tow nearly as well as a good SCT tow tune. If you feel that swapping gears is going to save you any mileage, look at that weight you tow, 11k on 3.73's is doable on 3.55's and the 5R110 would shorten the life of your transmission. Towing I don't exceed 65 mph, that helps with mileage. An aftermarket intake may help a bit, however if you have to consider the costs if dusts a turbo. The worse thing on your list is those 22.5" rims, that will kill not only your ride quality, but milage and braking ability as well.

You have a CC Dually, thats geared to tow. I doubt you will be any return on investment for doing a gear swap for the basis of mileage.
Old 05-16-2011, 09:38 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

re fuel econ

im not realy looking for a return on the investment im just looking to use less fuel maybe save a little for my kid. i wondered if the 22.5 would kill the fuel i was just thinking that when i was moving down the highway the rpms would be lower helping fuel econ. I also like the idea of going to the track and it dosent cost me a fourtne.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:19 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I tow a 15K RV with a 12'6 high flat front and can get 14 MPG any day. The tool I use is the ScangaugeII that can be calibrated to give true MPG indication. I use my programer to give me max HP with low turbo pressure enough to haul the load.

The economy comes by observing the driving habits, and knowing what your truck can do at different settings and speeds. My trucks is down to 8MPG stock hauling my heavy RV, but programed it realy goes up, and the load disapears.

So for me the best investment has been the scangaugeII that has been developped for MPG improvements.

You have to note that any boost above 10PSI, towing or not, realy robs your wallet.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 PM

stick with the sct take it to have it retuned tell them what you are doing and what you want get rid of the 22.5's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.