Ride Rite Air Bag Leak? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ride Rite Air Bag Leak?

Well I finally got done installing a set of Firestone Ride Rite Air Bags on my F350. Also installed the Air Command II.

This is my first air bag system....and as such, I'm not sure what to expect regarding the bags holding pressure. I don't have any visible leaks using the soap water technique at the connections yet the air bags are leaking down just a every hour. Is this normal or should it hold the air spot on the PSI I set.

Just looking for a quick answer. I don't want to chase something that is "normal" so to speak.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 06:51 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

How badly do they leak? the bags are very small and taking the air chuck on and off can release 3 or 4 psi each time. One of my dads airbags holds fine while the other leaks in a day or two to nothing. I think its the cheap push to connect fittings that come on these things. They just don't hold air! I wonder if anybody has found a way around those?
Old 05-16-2011, 03:25 AM

My Airlifts will hold 10 pounds through the winter.

If my system didn't hold for a month on a compressorless system I would be disappointed.

Once you add a compressor system there are a lot more possibilites for leaks. It's possible you just flat out have an internal leak in the air command system.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:49 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to run to my local truck repair shop and see if they have new fittings for the lines. Those 90 degree fittings were a PIA to install....so I'm going to get some straight ones and see if that helps.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:30 AM

Most of the leaks I have read about were at the pipe thread fittings going into the bags or improperly cut air lines. That plastic tubing has to be cut perfect with no deformation, burrs, or angled cuts in order to work perfectly.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:33 AM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
As was mentioned, check the connection between tube and fitting. Those are the most common places to leak.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Black View Post
Once you add a compressor system there are a lot more possibilites for leaks. It's possible you just flat out have an internal leak in the air command system.
Thank you Mr. Black for the direction! I checked the compressor system and discovered a leak in the tee at the control panel. Firestone used a cheap 1/4" barb fitting for the tee. There were 2 leaks in the connections (and they came from the factory connected). Plus the air guage connection was leaking. I replaced all the connectors with compression fittings and now it holds perfect.

Thank you again!
Old 05-21-2011, 01:59 AM

That's great news.

Glad to hear you got it fixed so now you can enjoy the benefits of the system.
Old 05-21-2011, 04:05 AM
Premium Member

Mine have been holding 90lbs for the past year, they havent leaked more than a couple pounds......as mentioned a nice square cut on those lines are a key aspect
Old 05-21-2011, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilDocTater View Post
Mine have been holding 90lbs for the past year, they havent leaked more than a couple pounds......as mentioned a nice square cut on those lines are a key aspect
Totally agree about the square cut on the lines especially for the quick connect adapters. But oddly enough, these leaks were coming from the factory prepared control panel which has a tee installed for the pressure guage, etc. They use a 1/4" barb tee. The barbs are tiny (practically non-existent) and the the length of the fitting for the line is small. So any pressure on the tee/lines caused leaks. But that was soon fixed with tried and true compression fittings!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.