rusty undercarriage anyone? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 04:35 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
rusty undercarriage anyone?

so im in ohio and throughout the winter im in salt. my frame, axles, suspension all have a nasty coat of surface rust color. whats the best route to go about making it look ok and protecting it. my dad got his 2010 with rust already under it so i will prolly do his and our other 6.0 with whatever i choose today. i have been wanting to level the truck but who wants to show off a rusty front axle and suspension??
let me know if ya guys got any idears on what i should do, i definitely dont want to just spray paint the rust and have it look good for a few days then next week the paint is bubbling.
thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 04:45 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
por 15 expensive but works mint
Old 05-15-2011, 05:16 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
painted the frame of my buddies kwhopper with POR 15 and for $110 a gallon 9 months later I am far from impressed...to the point where i will say it sucks. and its not like were going to take the body off and repaint it.

Im about ready to do mine, bed is coming off, my 2" rear blocks are getting installed to level the truck, 08 rear diff cover, new shocks etc, Wire wheel, needle scaler, hand held sand blaster, a full weekend ~20 hours last time i did mine 3 years ago (with rustoleam) when i baught it, but i didnt pull the bed off 2 cases of beer, lots of choice words, its not fun, but cheaper then buying a new truck,

I am using valspar from tractor supply. primer and gloss black, brushed on , frame, diffs, floor boards and corners of the cab, front fenders are coming off as well as the grill and front bumper at a minimum (would like to pull the motor to do studs to, but work is slowing down and not sure if im going to spend the money on it, while its out motor trans and tcase painted cat yellow and easier to do the frame and rad support etc) might just do up to the cab to start
Old 05-15-2011, 06:00 PM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
POP15 works, but only with a lot of prep to make it stay on and work properly. It also does not like sunlight.

I've been have good luck with spray cans of tractor implement paint, goes on thick and takes forever to dry but it stays there. Just got done painting some rims with it and they look great. Best part about using that kind of paint is that you can touch up and paint over it without a lot of prep work.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:17 PM

Feedback Score: 12 reviews
the valspar, does it take alot of prep work? i like the price better than por 15 and if por 15 doesnt work thats alot of $$$ for something that might work or might not

what kinda prep work should i do? for the best results out of any of them

Last edited by travisH3; 05-15-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM

There is a sample pack of the por 15 for around 20 bucks. 6 square feet of coverage. I have seen it do wonders on a buddies VW bus. I'm am just glad I am not in the rust belt currently.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:51 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

TSC paint is the best

At least it works on our International grain trucks.

I would hit it with some rust converter first. Then a few healthy coat of paint.
Old 05-15-2011, 09:49 PM

I worked with a guy who would take thinned out oil in a spray bottle, and once a month, he would spray down his frame and suspension parts. Sounds crazy, but man, was his under body rust free.
Old 05-16-2011, 03:52 AM

Krylon Rust Tough once a year does the trick.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:23 AM
Emergency Services

What about getting going to Rustcheck? I haven't looked into it going on over rust, but I am checking into it. My neighbour has a 97 Chev that he's had done since he bought it new and the truck looks great. We get 8 months of salt and sand up hear so the stuff does work and can be done for under $200 a year. As a bonus there's no work for you to do.

Hopefully in a day or two I'll have more info on it for application over a rusted undercarriage, I'll post my findings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.