Reoccuring HG Failures - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 04:29 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reoccuring HG Failures

How many of you have had reoccuring HG failures and if so what did you learn find out from doing it again. trying to figure out what caused the failure and how to prevent it from happening again.

I had mine studded last year and already am leaking pretty bad. losing about 1.5 gallons every 200 miles. I am actually alot worse now then when I first took the truck to get studded.

I used the Black Gaskets, ARP Head Studs, deleted EGR, had heads checked and decked for flatnesss, Replaced oil cooler, and only got about 15k miles. and i was pretty easy on the truck!! What a PITA

I am leaning towards going with stock HG as I think the black ones are possibly an issue?

thoughts or suggestions are appreciated as I need to get a game plan together and make sure this doesnt happen again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 04:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
how many pounds of boost are you running and did you notice any overboost concerns when they first went out?

what about your tune?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:48 PM

running either stock or DJ's/Vivians tunes. I was getting a slight overboost problem when I first got truck back last year. not sure why bc i was running the same tune. i did have the turbo cleaned/serviced when the truck was apart for gaskets. Even now on stock tune I see close to 30# according to stock boost gauge (not sure how accurate it is though)
Old 05-15-2011, 05:19 PM

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
you need an aftermarket (autometer) boost guage to get real numbers, even the edge has been off, there was a thread about this a while back
Old 05-16-2011, 07:28 AM

Do you have a monitoring solution to monitor ECT and EOT?
Old 05-16-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordWake View Post
Do you have a monitoring solution to monitor ECT and EOT?
no, I dont think so. All i have is an SCT
Old 05-16-2011, 11:03 AM

You need to be monitoring ECT and EOT.. Just because you had a new oil cooler installed doesnt mean it hasn't clogged again.

I would look into a scangauge II or an Edge Insight CTS/CS. I bet the reason you head gaskets failed again was due to your oil cooler being clogged again. Need to be watching minimum while towing your ECT, EOT and EGT. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by FordWake; 05-16-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:07 AM

The machine shop could very well have screwed you over, its VERY hard to find a decent shop these days. I have had a lot of engine work done by various machine shops and they ALL have their own opinion of what is right and what is wrong. Your heads can still be warped, your deck can be warped, and I have also heard that the Black HG's are 7-8/10 good, meaning 7-8/10 work out.
Old 05-16-2011, 11:55 AM

i have hard of other having the same failures with the black gaskets. I am pissed that I tried them since I ended up buying an OEM set at the last minute. Not saying thats the problem, but I shouldnt have risked it and just gone oem.

also, i hear what your saying on the machine shop. I need to check into that too. guessing i will need new heads at this point since they have already been decked once and are problably warped again
Old 05-16-2011, 04:56 PM

I had a cousin that kept breaking his snowmobile and the company asked him to became a tester for the company, because he was doing things with his machine that they could not understand, and the their testing was not enough to discover the machines weakness.
SCT needs you to explain how you do the damage to your truck, I feel its in the programing to breaking point that is your problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.