New here, Just bought an '05 PSD CC 4x4... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2011, 03:31 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
New here, Just bought an '05 PSD CC 4x4...

After owning GM trucks for years now, the wife and I finally broke down and bought a Ford. We were specifically looking for an '05-'07 PowerStroke CrewCab Lariat. We wound up finding an '05 Lariat with about 140k on it. Aside from higher mileage, it is in REALLY nice shape.

Both my father-in-law and brother-in-law have had 6.0s so I was semi-familiar with 'em. I new that they were generally deemed as "bad", but through some research, I don't see them that way.

The deal on this truck was too good to pass up so we had to act fast. After purchasing it, I did some testing to reassure myself that it wasn't going to have any major issues. I did a leakdown test on the cooling system and the results were fine. I also hooked a pressure gauge to the cooling system to see if it was building any excess pressure (or building pressure quickly under large load) and again, everything checked out fine.

I was fortunate enough to come across some info on the truck mentioning the previous owner. I was able to get in touch with him and he confirmed that the truck was in good health, he simply needed a DRW truck. I mentioned that the head gaskets were replaced and studded, and the EGR system had been deleted (I can't believe I missed it upon initial inspection!). The truck also came with a coolant filter, EGT gauge, and fuel pressure gauge!

As I can afford, I'm slowly changing all of the fluids and filters to establish a maintenance baseline for myself. From the research I've done, it seems like sticking with Motorcraft (or in some cases Raycor) filters is the best route, so that's what I've been doing.

Anyway, I just wanted to drop a line. I've got a few questions, but I'll post 'em in the right spots.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 03:35 PM
The Silent Service

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Howdy, and welcome to the ORG.

Good luck with the new truck.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:36 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Welcome to the org! Good to see that you're well informed. Just stick with motorcraft filters. Check out the threads for switching out the gold coolant for some ELC and you're good to go!
Old 05-15-2011, 03:40 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 5 reviews
Send a message via Skype™ to ToMang07
Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Get something to monitor the oil temp and coolant temp so you can keep an eye on the health of the oil cooler.

Congrats on the new truck and welcome to the org.
Old 05-15-2011, 06:37 PM
MARSOC > Seals

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Congrats on the

And

The others have pretty much covered everything else and looks like you know what direction to head anyways
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.