Restore/ Restore Plus success stories? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 01:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Restore/ Restore Plus success stories?

I recently started having coolant puke out of the degas bottle. Replaced the cap, just in case but that didn't fix it. Been reading tons of posts on here, and realize most of the time when the truck pukes, it is due to the EGR cooler, which is due to the oil cooler. Since this just started recently, is there any chance a few good flushes with Restore/ Restore Plus will clear up the issue?

I see a lot of threads on how to do it, when to do it, etc. Most are to clean the system prior to and/or after an EGR replacement/delete, accompanied by the oil cooler replacement. Anyone actually do the flush and it cure the issue?

I need to get an Edge Insight to be able to know the diff in EOT/ECT, that I know. Right now getting ready to hit the road for about 2500 miles round trip so I can't swing the edge, then have to do the coolers. Right now I am going to flush with the Restore/Plus, pray for the best, but expect the damage is already done. Just curious is anyone has actually been successful, or if the restore is always just in prep for cooler replacements.

I did the Bars Leak 10 min flush, then the Peak 3-6 hour flush (hadn't done my research when I did these). Still kicks out the degas bottle on an extended full throttle run. Will Restore do any different, or should I go ahead and plan on the coolers...

If I do the coolers, I am trying to decide between delete and bulletproof cooler. Only reason for the cooler is in case I have to sell in the future, easier to sell with legal equipment...

Any other guidance? I am all ears.

EDIT: Also, is ELC just ELC. Before doing a bunch of reading here I bought Auto Zone brand ELC, but considering returning it and getting some Zerex or something better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Serving Our Country!

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
All ELC are not created equal. There is a specification on ELC...for that matter Ford Premium Gold is marketed as an ELC. The maintenance required to keep Premium Gold within specification is much higher than simply switching to an EC-1 rated coolant...that won't elminate the need for maintenance but ALL coolants with nitrite base for cavitation/corrosion protection deplete the nitrite over time; Ford Premium Gold STARTS with VERY low nitrite levels without supplemental additive.

Go EC-1 and save yourself a lot of trouble and frustration.

Jonathan
Old 05-13-2011, 04:00 PM

Do yourself a favor and right after you drain the coolent do a reverse flush on the oil cooler. I know some people don't think that it works but I tried it with a rust clogged cooler off a truck and did the junk ever come out. This will aid in the restore cleaning out the silicates from the oil cooler. will this get 100% of the rust out, no but it does help. The cover gasket cost around $7 at the dealer.
Old 05-13-2011, 04:37 PM

Thanks for the info guys, very much appreciate it. I will return the el cheapo auto zone elc and get some good stuff.

As for the oil cooler flush I am sitting in the truck 30 min into the first restore flush... I may do some research on the backflush and see if I can knock that out before going further. I think I remember seeing a thread on it. No idea where to start on that job. Familiar with wrenching plenty, just not much on this truck...

Is that all you need is a cover gasket to accomplish it? Will hit the dealership in the am.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:44 PM

the clear hose I'm using is 3/4"ODx5/8"ID and when you do this remove the lower rad hose from the rad and let it drain into a bucket. BTW on the restore flush for best flush possiable let the thermostat in and run the truck for 2 1/2 hrs and no more than three. I have the part number for the gasket I will add it to this post in a little.
Attached Thumbnails
Restore/ Restore Plus success stories?-img_6415.jpg   Restore/ Restore Plus success stories?-img_6416.jpg   Restore/ Restore Plus success stories?-img_6417.jpg   Restore/ Restore Plus success stories?-img_6419.jpg  
Old 05-13-2011, 06:07 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by U235a4 View Post
BTW on the restore flush for best flush possiable let the thermostat in and run the truck for 2 1/2 hrs and no more than three. I have the part number for the gasket I will add it to this post in a little.
Interesting...cause it was recommended in another thread about flushing the coolant system that the thermostat be removed when flushing and doing so will aid in circulating the coolant with the restore instead of waiting for the thermostat to open.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squid4life View Post
I recently started having coolant puke out of the degas bottle. Replaced the cap, just in case but that didn't fix it. Been reading tons of posts on here, and realize most of the time when the truck pukes, it is due to the EGR cooler, which is due to the oil cooler. Since this just started recently, is there any chance a few good flushes with Restore/ Restore Plus will clear up the issue?

I see a lot of threads on how to do it, when to do it, etc. Most are to clean the system prior to and/or after an EGR replacement/delete, accompanied by the oil cooler replacement. Anyone actually do the flush and it cure the issue?

I need to get an Edge Insight to be able to know the diff in EOT/ECT, that I know. Right now getting ready to hit the road for about 2500 miles round trip so I can't swing the edge, then have to do the coolers. Right now I am going to flush with the Restore/Plus, pray for the best, but expect the damage is already done. Just curious is anyone has actually been successful, or if the restore is always just in prep for cooler replacements.

I did the Bars Leak 10 min flush, then the Peak 3-6 hour flush (hadn't done my research when I did these). Still kicks out the degas bottle on an extended full throttle run. Will Restore do any different, or should I go ahead and plan on the coolers...

If I do the coolers, I am trying to decide between delete and bulletproof cooler. Only reason for the cooler is in case I have to sell in the future, easier to sell with legal equipment...

Any other guidance? I am all ears.

EDIT: Also, is ELC just ELC. Before doing a bunch of reading here I bought Auto Zone brand ELC, but considering returning it and getting some Zerex or something better.
If replacing the cap didn't help it from puking...don't rule out that it's very possible that the head gaskets are shot.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:23 PM

I can tell you from firsthand experience that to get the temperature up to "at least 185*" as recommeneded by the Fleetguard Restore bottle you will either need to leave the thermostat in or make a winter grill cover out of some trash bags and blankets to restrict air flow to the radiator to bring the coolant temp up.

The temp delta on my truck was 10* apart and running three Restore flushes and one Restore Plus flush did not change my post flush temp delta one degree. I did not back flush the oil cooler, partly because I didn't have a torx bit to get the cover off and partly because I didn't feel like I would be able to get decent access to the open port without removing the turbo and boost tube.

To the OP...if your truck is already puking coolant be it full throttle bursts or cruising, I would seriously reconsider taking the truck on a 2500 mile trip, or if you do, you better at least spring for the Edge Insight. That's a serious gamble with a truck showing that symptom.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyexpress94 View Post
, To the OP...if your truck is already puking coolant be it full throttle bursts or cruising, I would seriously reconsider taking the truck on a 2500 mile trip, or if you do, you better at least spring for the Edge Insight. That's a serious gamble with a truck showing that symptom.
Yeah...i would never consider anyone doing that if they were puking. I hope he takes alot of coolant with him for that 2500 mile trip then. That would not be a smart idea!!!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by U235a4 View Post
the clear hose I'm using is 3/4"ODx5/8"ID and when you do this remove the lower rad hose from the rad and let it drain into a bucket. BTW on the restore flush for best flush possiable let the thermostat in and run the truck for 2 1/2 hrs and no more than three. I have the part number for the gasket I will add it to this post in a little.
I may have to try that, either put the tstat back in or cover the rad. I let the Restore cycle through for about 75 minutes with the tstat out, and flushed it again with just water, pulling the bottom hose off and the block plug out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokin6L View Post
Interesting...cause it was recommended in another thread about flushing the coolant system that the thermostat be removed when flushing and doing so will aid in circulating the coolant with the restore instead of waiting for the thermostat to open.
It makes sense about the tstat being in also, because the truck sure didn't warm up that hot.

Quote:
If replacing the cap didn't help it from puking...don't rule out that it's very possible that the head gaskets are shot.
Shhhh.... Let's not speak of those things yet... Just kidding, I know it is a possibility. Although when I have seen blown HG's I see the coolant in the bottle be a lot nastier, with floating black or grey pieces. I should probably get one of those leak detectors for compression gasses. I think NAPA has them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyexpress94 View Post
I can tell you from firsthand experience that to get the temperature up to "at least 185*" as recommeneded by the Fleetguard Restore bottle you will either need to leave the thermostat in or make a winter grill cover out of some trash bags and blankets to restrict air flow to the radiator to bring the coolant temp up.

The temp delta on my truck was 10* apart and running three Restore flushes and one Restore Plus flush did not change my post flush temp delta one degree. I did not back flush the oil cooler, partly because I didn't have a torx bit to get the cover off and partly because I didn't feel like I would be able to get decent access to the open port without removing the turbo and boost tube.

To the OP...if your truck is already puking coolant be it full throttle bursts or cruising, I would seriously reconsider taking the truck on a 2500 mile trip, or if you do, you better at least spring for the Edge Insight. That's a serious gamble with a truck showing that symptom.
Yeah, I know what you mean, I completely understand and appreciate the reality check. While messing with the truck tonight I starting thinking I should get the Insight to see what the delta is, and go from there. I guess if the delta is off, I will more than likely park the truck until after this trip, or sell some of my car crap and fix it.

Quote:
Yeah...i would never consider anyone doing that if they were puking. I hope he takes alot of coolant with him for that 2500 mile trip then. That would not be a smart idea!!!
I know, I kept trying to tell myself it is barely puking, I can surely make this trip... I should know better. Then of course this was puking when I was filling it up to the top mark, not to the true lower area where it should be filled to. But, that won't matter this much will it? I know it will puke if too full due to expansion, etc, but if I am at the low mark (as marked on the degas bottle) and she still pukes, there are some issues other than being too full, right. Damn this sucks. Bad timing for sure...

Thanks again for the info guys, much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.