Considering a 2005 4x4 King Ranch F250 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 08:28 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Considering a 2005 4x4 King Ranch F250 6.0

Good Folks,
Iím considering buying a used 2005 King Ranch F250 (4x4) with 29,000 miles on the odometer. The truck has the 6.0 V8 turbo diesel engine. Iím going to test drive the truck this afternoon to see how it drives. Iíve been reading up on these and other forums and have just become aware of some of the issues with the 6.0 engine. This particular truck appears to be in immaculate condition both inside and out (owned by a retired Army Colonel). It comes with a towing package (trailer brake control system), upfitter switches (not sure what that/those are), and a stabilizer package (again must research what that is). Additionally, the owner had a spray in bed liner, a roll out bed, and a 1000 lb hoist installed in the bed of the truck (along with a camper top). The owner is asking $32,000 for the truck. This appears to be in line with what Kelly blue book recommends as a private party price. I currently own a 2000 F250 with the V10 gas engine. I really like my current ride (and will sell it if I buy this truck). Iím going to be moving from Kansas to Alaska soon and will use this truck to pull a single axle (12í) trailer along with some house hold goods to Alaska. What do you guys thinks of this vehicle/deal? Your thoughts are certainly appreciated.
b
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 08:37 AM
Premium Member

Well, he didn't use it much. As far as miles go. If you can, get a Scangauge II or something similar to check the ECT vs. EOT. (If you buy an Edge Insight or Scangauge II for testing you will then have gauges for your new ride)

Buying used, what to look for:

buying used, what to look for? - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Upfitter switches:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/non-html/Q117.pdf
Old 05-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I think the price is high. I paid $30k for my 05 Harley truck 3 yrs ago. It had 50k on it at the time but the 20k difference in mileage isn't near as big a deal as the 3 yrs. I also have a spray in liner in matching blue and a bed cover, tonneau or whatever you want to call it.

I would offer him $26k and wouldn't go much over that myself.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the comments. I really enjoyed the test drive. The next vehicle I buy will have a diesel engine...that is for sure. As far as the price goes, I can't find a tuck with similar features for a better price, but that is just this area. Does anyone know if the warranty would still be in effect (2005 model with 29,000 miles) or if the warranty would transfer to another owner? Anywho, I really like the truck and am trying to make a decision not tied to emotion. Your thoughts are certainly appreciated.
b
Old 05-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Premium Member

Get the current owner to give you an Oasis Report on this truck, and any others you look at. The report should show in-service date the warranty started. And will show you any work done under warranty.

Has to get it from Ford. This is different than a Carfax type report.

I doubt you have any warranty from Ford on this truck. But, ya never know.
Old 05-14-2011, 08:04 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I think the price is high. I paid $30k for my 05 Harley truck 3 yrs ago. It had 50k on it at the time but the 20k difference in mileage isn't near as big a deal as the 3 yrs. I also have a spray in liner in matching blue and a bed cover, tonneau or whatever you want to call it.

I would offer him $26k and wouldn't go much over that myself.
Agreed, $32k seems way steep. I would think mid 20's, I mean the low miles is great and all but still. I bought my 05 lariat for $15k with 120k on it. I know 90 thousands miles difference is a lot, but is it worth $17k?
Old 05-14-2011, 08:42 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
If the truck is perfect, 29-30 would be fine. Not mid 20s but upper 20s to 30! You can get it for 30!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Guys,
Thanks for all the advise. I decided to pick up the truck for 32k. I could not get the owner to come off the price and I let desire/emotion get the better of me, especially after the test drive. Of the numerous gauges recommended on this site, which set of gauges are the easiest to install? It appears that some guages simply plug into the data port beneath the dash. Is this correct? If it is correct, are those type after market gauges useful? I get to pick the truck up on the AM. Thanks again for your feedback.
b
Old 05-17-2011, 06:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Good luck!! 32k plus tax, title seems high, i would have just bought a new one or a 1 year old one and bypass the 6.0

But if the deal is done, you better go ahead and tear into it or be stranded. Do the egr delete, oil cooler replacement, get an upgraded FICM (it will fail when you do not want it to) You will probably be okay with head gaskets unless you plan oh hammer on it all the time with the other mods. Guages are a must to monitor the vitals.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:32 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDuck97ACR View Post
Guys,
Thanks for all the advise. I decided to pick up the truck for 32k. I could not get the owner to come off the price and I let desire/emotion get the better of me, especially after the test drive. Of the numerous gauges recommended on this site, which set of gauges are the easiest to install? It appears that some guages simply plug into the data port beneath the dash. Is this correct? If it is correct, are those type after market gauges useful? I get to pick the truck up on the AM. Thanks again for your feedback.
b
For the price, the electronic gauges are pretty good.

Edge Insight CS/CTS, which is not a tuner, have available for extra cash, an EGT probe, and now fuel pressure capabilities. $380 or so for just the Edge Insights with out the extras.

Scangauge II, which doesn't have ways to read EGT's or fuel pressure. But will read a heck of a lot of gauges by entering Xgauges. (which are easy to input) $169 http://www.scangauge.com/

Here is a link you can scan through for the Scangauge II.

Some Scangauge II Codes for "Xgauge"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.