Mentoring For A New Diesel Owner - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Mentoring For A New Diesel Owner

First time diesel owner and just when I think I know what I need to do, I read more opinions and question what really needs to be done.

So Here's what I have planned for my 04 with 29k miles.

Fuel Filter - Change
Air Filter - Change
Oil and Filter(s) Change

Will do these myself, already have the parts.

Next is the:

Coolant flush change. Run restore and restore + and fill with good ELC
I will have a shop do this. Do I just tell the shop that I want a coolant flush and change. What do I ask them about the flush process to ensure I'm getting maximum effectiveness?

What else should I do in conjunction with the coolant change if anything. Not towing or anything. Just short trips around town and a weekly 100 mile round trip at highway speeds

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-13-2011, 05:58 AM

Sounds like you have a good plan, ask them about the flush and ask them if they can do it your way. It's your truck and they should be able to accommodate you if they want your business
Old 05-13-2011, 05:58 AM
The Silent Service

First thing, when you have the shop do your coolant flush, particularly since you're making the switch to ELC, get that Oil Cooler rebuilt while your in there. That cooler will still be collecting the silicate-gunk from the factory coolant. Also make absolutly sure they rebuild the cooler, after the flushing of your system with restore and restore plus(VC-9) and before refilling with the ELC. That is the only way to ensure the gunk during the flushes doesn't go into your new oil cooler internals.

Good call to get all the fluids and filters changed out right off the bat, can't be too carefull. The only others things I classify as nessacary are a coolant filter (dieselsite.com), and a monitor like the Edge Insight (CS or CTS). The coolant filter will help get the sediment out of your system, and the Edge will help you keep tabs on how your truck is running and head problems off before they become too massive.

If you want to start modifying the truck, it can get more complicated. Sounds like you're on the right track for a reliable stock truck, if you have any questions don't hesitate to ask.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:02 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The very first thing you should do is invest in a monitoring solution so that you know what condition your truck is in. You need to know what the temp delta is between the coolant and the oil to know if your oil cooler is healthy. A number of folks here recently have posted about buying trucks only to find out a few weeks later that they had clogged oil coolers, ruptured egr coolers, head gasket issues etc. In at least one case AFTER having done the flush and change to ELC.

The least expensive option is a Scangauge II but if you can swing it a much more flexible option is the Edge Insight CS or CST. If you get one of those get the optionan EGT probe with it.

You are due for a trans flush at 30k. It is a good idea to have that done by a shop that can do it properly with heated trans fluid.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:37 AM
Premium Member

Who does Oil Cooler rebuilds besides the dealership? Do I need to go to a diesel mechanic.

Thanks Guys
Old 05-13-2011, 09:45 AM
Premium Member

I wouldn't do the coolant flush until after you get a reading on the ECT Vs. EOT. If those come out fine, then I'd do the flush and change to an ELC. No use worrying about the oil cooler until you know the need for it. And no need to spend money on flushing twice.

Tranny flush by a good shop would be a good idea. It's due.
Old 05-13-2011, 11:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

If you have a shop do your coolant flush, make sure you instruct them to use distilled water. I talked to one shop and they said if i brought them the 15 gallons of distilled they would use it instead of the hose. Most shops will just use tap water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.