my 2006 surges sometimes around 20 psi of boost while accelerating? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-12-2011, 05:59 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
my 2006 surges sometimes around 20 psi of boost while accelerating?

I notice sometimes my truck will come into a surge at around 20psi of boost and steady throttle while accelerating up to speed, if you give it some more throttle and achieve more boost it quits? It doesn't do it all the time but I've noticed it a couple times today. I'm on I'd's x street tune now but it will sometimes do it stock tuned, I've watched my fuel psi while its doing this and it doesn't fluctuate with the surge so I don't think its a fuel issue. I'm kind of stumped maybe turbo is acting up? Has anyone had issues with the vgt solenoid not operating up to speed or anything along them lines? Could the vgt vanes be sticking? I cleaned my turbo when I did my egr delete last summer but used the anti sieze on the nozzle ring maybe that was a bad idea? I didn't like it but the international instructions said to do it so I did. Any help would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2011, 06:15 PM
Powerstroke Techie

More then likely it's the turbo solenoid. If it was stuck vanes you would probably have more of a problem with boost overall. In other words, it would be stuck at low psi, or take forever to get up to higher boost. I've replaced quite a few solenoids and they acted just the way you described.

Usually it's the solenoid starting to act up and your feeling the PCM trying to get boost where it wants it to but do to the bad solenoid it can't maintain it. The solenoids are a little pricey, over 300 from Ford. If you know someone with another 6.0 I would try swapping solenoids with them first. It's only the one little 8mm 12 point bolt holding the bracket on. I just take that off then twist the solenoid back and forth while gently pushing out on it with a screwdriver. Should pop right out.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the input, I agree with you that it may very well be the solenoid, I've noticed lately that my smoke is a bit more than normal, just seems like I'm slower at building boost than it used to be.
Old 05-13-2011, 02:24 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Yeah, if you just cleaned the turbo it shouldn't be that. You did apply the never seize and then wipe it pretty much all off right? That's how the International instructions tell you to do it. You just want to get a light coating on every thing. You get to much in there and it can gum stuff up.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:37 AM

Yea I smeared it really light, I agree with you still on the solenoid, because I've noticed a bit more smoke than usual and maybe a bit more lag off the line and while driving in od and trying to speed up like maybe the actuator is getting weak and not working as it should, if the vanes were gummed up it wouldn't work at all.
Old 05-13-2011, 03:48 AM
Powerstroke Techie

True, true. Swap your solenoid and see what she does!
Old 05-13-2011, 03:58 AM

Ill have my parts guy call the ih dealer up the street today and see what our cost is, when I got my turbo recon kit it was almost half price if I remember, I may just wind up pullin my turbo out and cleaning/inspecting the unison ring and vanes while I'm at it, wouldn't take very long
Old 05-13-2011, 04:07 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Yeah, the little SOB is expensive either way. I've checked it thru International and Ford and I can't remember there being to much price difference. I'm about 90% sure it's your issue. Think I'd try it first. But if you feel like wrestling with your turbo more power to you!

Just looked up a reciept from one I did last month. Got it from Ford for $320, list price was $380.
Old 05-13-2011, 05:31 AM

Would you happen to know the ih part # for the vgt sol?
Old 05-13-2011, 06:43 AM
Powerstroke Techie

This is what International calls it. EVRT(electronic variable response turbo) control valve, part # 1855684C1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.