Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

hard start warm now

888 views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  thenubsterman 
#1 ·
Hey everyone i've put 1,000 miles sense head gaskets, but seems like ever sense head gaskets, its a hard start warm. Like if i pull up to a stop light turn off and restart starts fine. If i shut down go in to store come back out sometimes long crank and then start, sometimes starts but will only idle 400 rpm(no throttle response), thn something kicks in rpms go up 2 700ish, and throttle response is back. Never have thsi issue cold.

#2 ·
Sounds like a high pressure oil problem to me. When they did the head haskets did they update the dummy plugs etc. They may have pinched an o-ring on reassembly.

#3 ·
lol well I was the man on the job this time. Well to clarify I have an early build 04 so i have the 03 engine. Does it have the dummy plugs??? only thing i touched on the High pressure oil side was the tubes that go through the head into block(got new ones). The oil reservoirs that sit on top of the injectors. and the injectors.. I did put a new ICP sensor on it what did i do wrong :doh:

#4 ·
You may have pinched an o-ring. Yes you have dummy plugs. There are holes for the HPO stand pipes in both ends of the heads so they can be used on either side. That's where the dummy plugs are. You may have pinched an o-ring putting the stand pipes in.

#7 ·
I would double check the o-rings on the stand pipes too. If you didn't have the dummy plugs out that is probably not the problem but you might as well do them if you have the covers off.

How quick should it start? I just rebuilt my hpop and replaced batt. It starts quicker with the new batt.
Mine always starts up within a second or 2 at most.

#9 ·
so why is it random? Last night drove all over not one time hard starting when warm. got home let it set for an hour or 2 went to start it had a hard time starting imean it fired off in 3-4 seconds but didn't "run" right for an addtional 3-4 seconds. It doesn't miss. High pressure oil leaks can do this?:icon_ford:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.