Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Carbon Removal

2K views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  DENALI 
#1 ·
I know I have read of a process on these forums about a carbon removal process to remove coking from the exhaust system. I can't for the life of me find it through the search. Does anyone know the process, machine used, or am I just crazy?

The dealer wants to take my manifold off to clean carbon buildup in a very labor intensive process. I swear I had read about a system that literally blows the carbon out of the truck.

Thanks for any info.

#5 ·
It doesn't sound cheap. Best price locally I have found is $500 from a kind shady place, and $700 at a place I am comfortable with. Compared to the dealer wanting $1200 to remove and steam the manifold it is a tough one.

I am sure the BG system is great, but I bet it can't beat removing and steaming the manifold. My million dollar question right now is it worth $500.

Hopefully my dealer will come down quite a bit and make the decision easy for me. If not, I just might park the truck until I can snag a day off work, and tear into it myself and delete the EGR while I am at it. Even though I have never tackled a project that big, I figure I can't mess up worse than my dealer.

Just crazy carbon can cause so many issues in exhaust.

#6 ·
When I had my intake off, I soaked it at work in the parts cleaner (Safety- Kleen). Then used a 2" round nylon brush and cleaned the heck out of it. Then used acetone to get it really clean. Took me a couple of hours to get it spotless, but it can be done.

#14 ·
I would make some nasty concotion and let it sit over night... simple grean, purple power, dish washing soap, degreaser............

I will be doing something similar in the summer.

I have seen some 1"-3" long flexi heavy duty pipe cleaners before, cant remember where... That would work very well to clean it out :thumb:

#7 ·
Yeah I went through 9 cans of carb cleaner. It took forever but man it runs so much better. Worth taking it off and cleaning if your having issues. I would then delete that crap.

#8 ·
Looks like I am going to be doing this myself. Dealer didn't budge on price, but they did say they would throw in a turbo cleaning as well. Still didn't help, considering for $1200, $1150 of it was labor.

I hope to get this done this weekend or Memorial Day, and save myself $1150 in the process.

Does anyone know how much more work is it to get to the EGR cooler once the manifold is off? I can't imagine much, but have no clue. Now I just have to make my mind up if I definitely want to delete and deal with the check engine light, or replace with a bulletproof cooler.

#11 ·
Since you will have the turbo out, you can clean it yourself.
http://www.forddoctorsdts.com/articles/article-06-05.php

After you get the intake off, the EGR cooler is only held on with 3 bolts. When you get to the little hose, turn the hose until the little notches are up/down, then push the hose toward the rear.

#9 ·
if you don't have emissions tests, get rid of it. You will do all that work for nothing. Or at least make a sneaky pipe and bypass it.

#10 ·
I don't have emissions to worry about, but I do have the 13 part extended ford plan. If I delete it, I lose that or have to cash in what's left. If I replace with the bulletproof, I at least have that warranty for 12 other parts.

#13 ·
Finally have the manifold off(have no clue how I am putting it all back together). Never even considered how to clean it. Just spray a ton of cleaner in each bolt hole? Should I find something large enough to completely soak it all in? Any suggestions on how?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.