Sinister coolant filter leaking - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2011, 06:33 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sinister coolant filter leaking

Hi all,

Recently installed a sinister coolant filter kit on my 06 and have been plagued with leaks from the get go. I've already redone all the hose connections with pipe dope and Teflon tape which seem to be holding but now have a leak down the body of the actual filter meaning the coolant is pushing past the filter o-ring. Any advice on how to stop the leak? Pretty frustrated right now that I can't keep a steady coolant level after installing the filter kit.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 06:38 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

When I installed mine it leaked at the hose to ball valve connection. I used pipe dope and it fixed my problem. There was a thread on here just a couple weeks ago about this problem. Yours is the first I've heard having a leak from the housing. I say give the dealer you ordered it from a call and see what they will do for you. Good luck..
Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Premium Member

Do you put any lube/oil on the o-ring and how tight would you say the filter is? Hand tight, using something more to tighten?

Thanks!
Old 05-10-2011, 06:55 PM

I used a little coolant on the o-ring and then hand tightened. I didn't use any type of filter wrench just a good twist with the hands.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:18 PM

I had to retape a connection and I put the filter on with a strap wrench to a tiny past snug, just like you do with a normal oil filter. Make sure you have the rubber gasket that comes with the filter.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCPowerStroker View Post
Do you put any lube/oil on the o-ring and how tight would you say the filter is? Hand tight, using something more to tighten?

Thanks!
DON'T use anything other than your hand to tighten the coolant filter. A snug fit is what i do, and i still have trouble at times getting it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sesco4 View Post
I used a little coolant on the o-ring and then hand tightened. I didn't use any type of filter wrench just a good twist with the hands.
This is good advice, i didn't with my first filter and it didn't matter which words i used or how i bit my lip, it took a good minute to get that sucker off! Now i always lube the ring and tighten to just snug. I've noticed its not nearly a chore getting it off when doing such....
Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourFun View Post
DON'T use anything other than your hand to tighten the coolant filter. A snug fit is what i do, and i still have trouble at times getting it off.

This is good advice, i didn't with my first filter and it didn't matter which words i used or how i bit my lip, it took a good minute to get that sucker off! Now i always lube the ring and tighten to just snug. I've noticed its not nearly a chore getting it off when doing such....
That's right, NEVER put a filter on with anything other than hand tight pressure, and don't even gorilla grip it by hand. Just spin it on and when it stops just snug it up a little more.

I use oil on my filter seal, not coolant. Never tried coolant, I just know that oil works well, just a little bit on the end of my finger and a quick wipe.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:12 AM

Just a little oil and a good both hand tighten should do the trick. Mine leaked as well pipe doped the hoses and no more leaks.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:51 AM
Premium Member

Called MKM Customs and they are shipping out a replacement kit no questions asked. Awesome customer service and hopefully the product will perform this time. Will post more once I get new kit installed.

Cheers!
Old 01-20-2013, 10:35 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I just installed my filter and it is leaking from between the block and the filter. I didn't use any oil,lube, or coolant so I'm guessing that's my problem. Didn't use a wrench, I only tightened it by hand so once it cools down I'll back it off and put some lube on the gasket.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.