Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

ccv mod q's

3K views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  kdogg85 
#1 ·
What hose other than fuel hose which is $6 a foot at napa for 3/4'', could I use for this? I would like to use 1'' if possible if something reasonable exists.

I am going to make my own catch can. Is it inlet at the bottom and outlet at the top? I am thinking this so oil doesn't travel back to the intake.

Other than that seems a straight forward job. Anything I missed?

#2 ·
I went to my local hardware store and just got some clear 1" rubber tubing. Had it for few days now and no problems

#4 ·
It has to be petroleum resistant. I thought about the clear tubing if it wouldn't melt. That's what I have read anyway.
btw does the stub in the intake tube have to stay or can I cut that off but leave the hole for the reurn?

#5 ·
I did this a while back and came up with my own opinion with the ccv mod. This is how i did it: 1) oil resistant hose from napa believe I got 3/4inch to fit around the vent elbow. 2) plugged the whole in the intake using a rubber stopper with a nut on the end of it. You can get them at any auto-parts store. If you dont know what im talking about ask and ill explain in detail 3) I made a catch can that would seperate the oil and allow the air to escape through a filter. Me and another forum member talked back and forth on ideas.(im trying to find the thread).

After assembling the whole system, I decided the catch can didnt work. Smelly as all H$%L and would leave oil stains all over the place. The problem is the oil/air mixture does not have enough time to seperate. So the pressure of air was hitting the bottom of the can and shooting it right back up to the filter and the filter was condisating the mixture. The filter would get oily and drip on the pavement.

I cut the whole thing off and just left the hose, the hose emits small amounts of smoke and the smell is hardly noticable. Oh! and the best part no oil stains. IMO if you wana catch can buy the one from Raul @ stealth auto.

#6 ·
#7 ·
that's what I want exactly. Inlet in the middle of can and return on top. That way oil falls down vapors go back up. That way there is some vaccum on the system. Any thoughts on hose alternatives.

i'm sure the ready made ones are good but 100 bucks not counting hose. I can't justify swinging that.

#8 ·
Use any hose you want and let us know how it turns out.

#9 ·
I just turned the 90* fitting on the off the engine around and pointed it towards my degas bottle. As for the clear hose, I never thought about it being petroleum resistant. I dont see how it would really matter though, you just running vapor out ( I just dump mine). Its not like its running a liquid back into your engine. It does get a lot more soft once the truck has been running though. How are you guys using only 3/4" hose? A 1" hose was a tight fit for me. I might try the heater hose if I can find it large enough.

#11 ·
I figured since oil will be in contact with the hose it would eat it up.

#12 ·
It does your hands turn all black because I used heater hose too. Seems to be working fine tho. If your worried about the hose eating it up get diesel fuel rated line.

#13 ·
thats what I was afraid of. Btw, thanks for the link, gave me a parts list and pictured instructions for what to do. even with the catch can, did you still route the hose over the puke bottle or just turn it down to the can? I heard that helped keep some oil from flowing out.

#14 ·
You dont want any back pressure. So routing down is what I did. That vapor/oil whatever you want to call it can get pretty dirty and I didnt want it clogging up and causing the crank case not to vent.

#15 ·
even with the intake pulling vaccum on it that can still happen. Although I'm sure it won't be as much vaccum as what the factory setup pulls. I want to route back to intake so no fear of funky smells.

#16 ·
I'm doing this this evening when i get off. I pulled the dp off and there is tacky residue in the dp, can this be from the oil coming throught he motor and getting stuck or does this sound more like aturbo seal going out? No blown collers or anything like that. If it turns out to be a seal, then a powermax is coming to me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.