Oil change / Fuel Filter done but ????? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-07-2011, 12:17 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 77
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil change / Fuel Filter done but ?????

So Wal-Mart had a sale on Rotella T6 and I picked some up, also got my fuel fliters from Diesel Filters Online and went to town.

Oil change was nothing except I broke one of the tabs on the oil filter putting the cap back on. Arghhh

My fuel filter was filthy with rust sediment all over and sediment in the fuel that drained out. It was very fine to the touch and rust color. This was also the case when I had water in my fuel last month. Any ideas?

Thanks for all the part numbers and recommendations on products! I love the ORG!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old 05-07-2011, 01:22 PM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 652
Thanks: 0
Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
There are 2 things that come to mind:
1) Sometimes where you get your fuel is part of the issue. Some diesel pumps at stations have filters whereas some do not. So if their tanks are rusting and they don't have a filter, it'll go right into your tank. Along these same lines, it often safest to fill up at a place that goes thru a high volume of diesel like a truck stop as it'll be fresher and probably have less contaminents.
2) I read somewhere that some of these Ford trucks had issues with their fuel tanks rusting. I'll have to dig it up but I do recall reading about that either on this forum or another similar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3  
Old 05-07-2011, 02:25 PM
GO BIG OR HAVE FUN TRYING
 

Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 29
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Sorry buddy Ive never heard of anybody having rusty fuel tanks although I had a front bumper that was starting to rust a bit and the dealer put a new one on and said Ford had a bad batch of bumpers in 2009-2010. But I would moniter that rusty fuel and at least change your filter more often till you figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4  
Old 05-08-2011, 03:38 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 77
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
There are 2 things that come to mind:
1) Sometimes where you get your fuel is part of the issue. Some diesel pumps at stations have filters whereas some do not. So if their tanks are rusting and they don't have a filter, it'll go right into your tank. Along these same lines, it often safest to fill up at a place that goes thru a high volume of diesel like a truck stop as it'll be fresher and probably have less contaminents.
2) I read somewhere that some of these Ford trucks had issues with their fuel tanks rusting. I'll have to dig it up but I do recall reading about that either on this forum or another similar.
That was the suggestion I got when I started getting the WATER IN FUEL light. I fill up now at a truck stop near my office only to avoid this problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeger View Post
Sorry buddy Ive never heard of anybody having rusty fuel tanks although I had a front bumper that was starting to rust a bit and the dealer put a new one on and said Ford had a bad batch of bumpers in 2009-2010. But I would moniter that rusty fuel and at least change your filter more often till you figure it out.
I'll see how this filter looks after 5k miles. I got the truck with 48K on the clock and only put 5k on it since
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5  
Old 05-08-2011, 04:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 2,528
Thanks: 6
Thanked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Is your truck a chassis cab? If not, the tank is most likely plastic and the crud came from the tanks where you fill up. Keep your receipts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6  
Old 05-08-2011, 04:20 AM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 77
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismic View Post
Is your truck a chassis cab? If not, the tank is most likely plastic and the crud came from the tanks where you fill up. Keep your receipts.
Nope, not a chassis cab and I have switched my fill up spot to a truck stop. No longer going to the places I went before. They were always busy but not the high volume that the truck stop does.

Does anyone know where a fuel sample can be sent? I'd like to know what the hell is in my tank. I really dont want to drop the tank but it may be an option
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7  
Old 05-08-2011, 09:34 AM
Serving Our Country!
 

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Clinton, MS
Posts: 624
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
I know that Predictive Maintenance Services are testing fuel:
Predictive Maintenance Services, Inc.

I am not sure if AMSOIL or Blackstone tests fuels but they are great labs as well:
Oil Analyzers, Inc. - Oil Analysis, Oil Testing Services
Blackstone Labs

An over-the-road truck service center may also provide while-you-wait laboratory analysis but that would be on a case-by-case basis.

Jonathan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8  
Old 05-08-2011, 03:20 PM
Member
 

Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 77
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by howell_jd View Post
I know that Predictive Maintenance Services are testing fuel:
Predictive Maintenance Services, Inc.

I am not sure if AMSOIL or Blackstone tests fuels but they are great labs as well:
Oil Analyzers, Inc. - Oil Analysis, Oil Testing Services
Blackstone Labs

An over-the-road truck service center may also provide while-you-wait laboratory analysis but that would be on a case-by-case basis.

Jonathan

Thanks I am going to check them out. I think I'm going to stop by the International dealer near my house and see if they can steer me somewhere
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:33 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.1
Garage Plus, Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.

vB.Sponsors