Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Coolant level and oil cooler question

837 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bismic 
#1 ·
when I bought my truck the coolant level was at the full level and since had dropped to about half way between the marks and leveled off. I could see coolant residue on the tank, which I always cleaned off, so I can see if it is puking still. Today I made a 4 hr 70 mph round trip with about 2500 lb load in the bed for half of the trip. I checked the tank and it had puked some. I don't have gauges yet and haven't done a coolant flush yet.

Now my question is if the coolant level is at the min. mark ( which I believe is the proper level if I read right) will the coolant still puke out if the oil cooler is plugged?

#2 ·
Puking occurs mainly because your EGR cooler has failed or you have failed head gaskets (or you have an issue w/ coolant flow). It can also occur w/ an overfilled degas bottle because coolant expands when it heats up.

The oil cooler plugging is a contributor only because it restricts coolant flow to the EGR cooler - which then results in its failure.

Puking can occur at any level in the degas bottle if you have an issue described above.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.