Gonna pull the engine this summer, what do you use? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2011, 04:04 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gonna pull the engine this summer, what do you use?

I know this sounds a little extreme, but my warranty will be up this summer and I want to pull the engine to do a 100,000 km/63,000 mi check up. (Done this on almost every vehicle ive owned, Im a HD Mech and obsessive about maint). Gonna check rod and main bearing tolerances, stud/black onyx head gaskets, GoGo diesel EGR delete replacement intake, and replace every o-ring I could possibly find, do all the updates (turbo drain tube etc.). My question is what have you fellow stroker owners used to pull the engine? I know Ford has a special bracket used for lifting by the front, but can you get an engine hoist in there with intake and everything off and use chains/lifting lugs? Just dont want to put a lot of time into this pull and find out I NEED the special engine lifting tool to do this and wait weeks for it to come in. If you need the lifting tool what would be the part # and supplier as the service manager looked at me like I was from outer space when I asked him this very question. Any help would be appreciated...Thanks gentleman.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 04:50 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Well I think most will say lift the cab off.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:12 PM

Part numbers for the engine stand, lift brackets and lift arms: Rotunda
"(1) 014-00071 Rotunda Floor Crane
(1) 303-D043 Engine Lifting Attachment
(1) 303-D043-01 Engine Lifting Adapter
(1) 303-D043-02 Engine Lifting Adapter"
http://turbodieselforums.com/downloa...ne%20stand.pdf
Old 05-07-2011, 04:29 PM

Hey dude, thank you for the info, thats exactly what I needed. I think after im done im going to have the only Ford Racing Blue Powerstroke in British Columbia. Much appreciated...This is why I love this forum.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:32 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
black onyx head gaskets are overpriced. Get the victor reinz. Same thing, half the price.

As for pulling the engine for a checkup, to each his own (id get a blackstone report instead-lol). I've done 3 6.0 swaps this week alone. I'd never want to do it with the cab on. It takes me about 2hrs to pull the cab, and another 30 minutes to have the engine on the hoist. If I had to attempt it in the truck-I'd probably have killed myself by now.
Old 05-07-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazdillenger View Post
black onyx head gaskets are overpriced. Get the victor reinz. Same thing, half the price.

As for pulling the engine for a checkup, to each his own (id get a blackstone report instead-lol). I've done 3 6.0 swaps this week alone. I'd never want to do it with the cab on. It takes me about 2hrs to pull the cab, and another 30 minutes to have the engine on the hoist. If I had to attempt it in the truck-I'd probably have killed myself by now.
We have the engine out in under 2 hours cab on at our dealership day in and day out. It's not tough to pull at all.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:01 PM

Lol I know all about nasty engine pulls, takes four guys 24 Hours to pull an engine in one of our haulage trucks at work. Was just wondering what was used thats all, actually looking forward to doin the pull. Gonna powdercoat EVERYTHING.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:31 PM

Feedback Score: 7 reviews
I never said it was difficult. I said I dislike doing it that way. I like the room removing the cab affords me, and my large hands. I guess its a matter of preference. Me personally, I can do the job faster with the cab off. I know this isn't an option for everyone though.
Old 05-08-2011, 12:45 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Do not use tha Black Onyx gaskets, I have heard of too many of them going bad. Stick with OEM Ford gaskets. It would also be a good time to install upgraded injectors/turbo.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobane View Post
Lol I know all about nasty engine pulls, takes four guys 24 Hours to pull an engine in one of our haulage trucks at work. Was just wondering what was used thats all, actually looking forward to doin the pull. Gonna powdercoat EVERYTHING.
Please post pics for us - especially when done!

Last edited by bismic; 05-08-2011 at 03:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.