Studs without doing gaskets??? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 09:24 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Studs without doing gaskets???

I have read some due studs without doing gaskets.

Would this be another good preventative measure or should I just wait till my headgaskets fail??

I don't have my tuner set on the highest HP tune. Its just on Eric's tow tune. I do tow a 10k camper alot during the summer.

I basically trying to weigh the options of putting them in now. Then if my gaskets go. Do them again at that time because from what I understand the studs are a one time deal just like the TTY bolts.

Or just wait and doing them once when the stock gaskets and TTY's actually fail.

Just looking for opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2011, 09:43 AM

better to just wait till they blow putting studs over possibly not flat heads is not going to help at all... and im pretty sure you can reuse arps
Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 AM

We have one for waiting till they blow...

Anyone else with an opinion?

Come on guys I know everyone here has an opinion.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:04 AM

Why not replace the headgaskets AND do the studs?

Studs aren't a "one-time" deal. Unless they're stretched when a gasket goes.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:05 AM

You can also re-torque the stockers next time you are in there but my vote is to leave it alone and keep an eye on your oil for signs of a blown head gasket. Seeing all the mods in your sig I'd say you are pretty safe and have done a great job with preventative maintenance.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
No, do not retorque the stockers. They are TTY so just leave them alone. Putting studs in 1 at a time without doing the head gaskets is like showering without soap. Why bother. Just wait till you need to do it. Who knows, that time may never come.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah77 View Post
Why not replace the headgaskets AND do the studs?

Studs aren't a "one-time" deal. Unless they're stretched when a gasket goes.
Because I don't have an aftermarket warranty to cover the work and a good local shop or dealership either. I am glad you were able to get yours done under a warranty for so cheap.. I am soooo jealous.

oh and yes I was assuming if I lost head gaskets with the arp studs on then I stretched them so they would need to be replaced

If and when the time comes I will though.

I think that everyone is just saying let them blow if there going to. I APPRECIATE ALL THE REPLIES.. THIS FORUM IS SO AWESOME AND ADDICTING!!!.

Last edited by FordWake; 05-05-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
No, do not retorque the stockers. They are TTY so just leave them alone. Putting studs in 1 at a time without doing the head gaskets is like showering without soap. Why bother. Just wait till you need to do it. Who knows, that time may never come.
I understand the torque to yield . . . if a customer doesn't want to pay for gaskets and studs the stockers get torqued 5 ft lbs over stock and on occasion you will find some bolts that have come loose. This is a concept widely used for a lot of different vehicles. It is just added security when running higher boost pressures . . .
Old 05-05-2011, 01:16 PM

Seems to me that if you try just replacing the studs, you will be doing the job again shortly. As much as the job sucks, I would do gaskets and all at once.
Old 05-06-2011, 02:06 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickhorse View Post
I understand the torque to yield . . . if a customer doesn't want to pay for gaskets and studs the stockers get torqued 5 ft lbs over stock and on occasion you will find some bolts that have come loose. This is a concept widely used for a lot of different vehicles. It is just added security when running higher boost pressures . . .
TTY bolts are tightened and stretched to the yeild point hence the name Torque To Yield. Since the bolts are at the yeild point by design they should not be re-torqued since their clamping force is dependant on the stretch of the bolt and not the absolute torque. It has already been stretched.

If I had a customer that didn't want to spend the money to fix the vehicle right I would send him down the road to find somebody willing to do substandard work. A person that won't spend the money to do things right is exactly the kind of customer that is going to come back complaining and nothing you do will ever satisfy them.

Lessons learned from running my own business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.