Quest for optimum fuel mileage - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 09:44 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quest for optimum fuel mileage

I love power as much as the next guy but I really want to improve fuel mileage in my 6.0. I have a 2005 F350 crew cab automatic that is bone stock (90,000 miles). I would like to improve fuel mileage without compromising the integrity of the drivetrain. Is it possible to pick up decent fuel mileage going EGR delete, high flow 5" exhaust, and a SCT tune without hurting anything? If I am going at this the wrong way, could you point me in the right direction?

Thanks guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 10:06 AM
The Silent Service

Really depends on what you are expecting as far as an improvement?

I haven't done the EGR delete, tuned for the valve to be shut on the stock EGR cooler. Looking to upgrade to the one from BDP.

5" exhaust may be excessive, might get away with a turbo-back 4" system.

With tunes, I ran a tank for an economy last week. Using a street tune on an otherwise stock truck (I am studded, don't see that playing into the equasion). I picked up a 10% gain in milage 13.3 mpg stock, to 14.6 tuned. I'm stock hight CCLB DRW with the 4.30's. That is a combined city/highway tank running to and from work like I always do. The thing I recommend, get a high HP tune that is safe for your truck and get your foot out of the throttle. I'm very pleased with what I've seen with the street tune, and I'm testing my race tune in the same fasion right now.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:28 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

I agree 5" not necessary.. 4" Turbo Back. Delete Cat and muffler.. Also 5w-40 syn oil, Rev X, Zoodad Mod, Fuel additive as well (FPPF or Diesel Kleen every fill up). Thats alot of money and the best I have seen is 17 in town and 21 on the highway. I hope you get what your looking for. Oh and don't forget the block underneath your pedal after the tunes its hard to stay off of the skinny pedal.. OH and make sure your FICM is in good shape.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the replies!

I agree with staying out of the throttle. In my earlier years this would have been a problem but not anymore. Perhaps 5" exhaust is a bit overkill, I suppose 4" would suffice.

Fordwake- 17 and 21mpg (unloaded) would be phenominal. This is exactly what I am looking to get! I figure I will nickel and dime my way into this range.

colo_dually- Making a 10% improvement is decent. I'd like to pick that up in a tune alone if that's possible. I run a stock ride height and wheel diameter. I think 10% can be doable, especially paying attention to how I am driving it.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:53 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by FordWake View Post
I agree 5" not necessary.. 4" Turbo Back. Delete Cat and muffler.. Also 5w-40 syn oil, Rev X, Zoodad Mod, Fuel additive as well (FPPF or Diesel Kleen every fill up). Thats alot of money and the best I have seen is 17 in town and 21 on the highway. I hope you get what your looking for. Oh and don't forget the block underneath your pedal after the tunes its hard to stay off of the skinny pedal.. OH and make sure your FICM is in good shape.
Zoodad Mod???
Old 05-03-2011, 10:59 AM

biggest gain I got so far was the cheapest...cat delete pipe. Tunes surely help but that was the only one that made me say wow.
Old 05-03-2011, 11:19 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Term3 View Post
Zoodad Mod???
zoodad mod?
Old 05-03-2011, 12:09 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraftsman View Post
Thanks for the replies!
. . .
colo_dually- Making a 10% improvement is decent. I'd like to pick that up in a tune alone if that's possible. I run a stock ride height and wheel diameter. I think 10% can be doable, especially paying attention to how I am driving it.
I was amazed when I filled up, I had noticed the difference on the tripometer since loading the tune. It was a little under what I had expected with was a 2 mpg gain, still tweeking how I drive with the tune and seeing if that can get better. After I get this tank with the race file used up, which by my guess may even be better than the street file on my truck.

A few pieces of advice, first allow your transmission to adapt a bit before running anything WOT after you load the tune. Try to keep your boost and RPM's low and kinda let off the gas to shift (with my files a let off around 2k-2.2k rpms), boost I let hover around 8-10 lbs. And keep up with the maintenance on the truck, the 6.0L runs best with clean filters, fluids, and oil.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.