Anyone seeing this.........? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-03-2011, 09:30 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone seeing this.........?

I installed OEM 20's and OEM tires sizes and I am now chasing an "issue". As I was under the truck with the non-dealer shop, everything to the component is tight as heck except the axle shafts that the u-joints are on. The passenger side axle shaft (farthest from the pumpkin) can be moved by hand as much as a 1/4" - and this is not end play. It's flat out able to be wobbled. The driver side closest to the pumpkin moves much less by hand. BOTH move more than I would expect from any shaft with roller bearings.

The stealership said it's normal! How can that be? I run out of warranty in December so I need to know what I need to know to go in and get this resolved if there is something to be resolved.

Thanks for your comments and help in advance guys!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 11:35 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
The u joints are shot. Make them fix it.
Old 05-05-2011, 05:18 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
The u joints are shot. Make them fix it.
After personally installing a Bilstein 5100 steering stabilizer (the OEM had a definite dead spot in the stroke), the condition is far better when driving.

However, I just got the rig back from the dealer and they are telling me the shaft movement is normal.

To be clear, the u-joint assy is tight. There is no slop in the actual u-joint itself. If I wrap my hand around the u-joint assy, I can move the shaft/u-joint assy about 3/16" (not end play) in any direction 90 degrees to the axis of axle rotation. The shaft end that dissappears into the hub is what is moving, not the actual u-joint assy itself.

The dealer seems stymied about this but I think I am correct that the hub has a sealed bearing in it that the shaft (outboard of the joint) sits in. If that end of the shaft is able to move, that must mean the bearing is bad in the hub, right?

I really need someone else to put a glove on and go out to their truck on the passenger side and grab the u-joint assy and see if theirs is able to move around.

Any takers? I could sure use some help here given I am out of warranty in 891 miles!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.