New '05 F250 6.0L owner - what to do next? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 03:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New '05 F250 6.0L owner - what to do next?

I am sure there are numerous threads with newbies asking this question, but every engine is different so I'll tell you what I know about mine.

It is an '05 with 128,000 miles. I took it to a diesel mechanic in town before purchase for an inspection and they were impressed with its overall condition. It has an aftermarket air filter, but has not been chipped.

The Oasis report shows the EGR cooler was replaced at 81K. The headgaskets blew at 84K and were replaced. The mechanic assured me the warranty work at that time would have included the beefier studs. Two fuel injectors were replaced at that time as well.

So, it is an engine that has seen some repairs, but have largely fixed the big issues. The EGR could go again, so I plan on doing the block at the mechanics shop and he advised a new oil cooler at the same time.

What do you all think? Are these the right things to do and what else would you consider doing as preventive maintenance. I plan on doing complete fluid and filter changes as well just so I know where I'm starting.

Any advice is appreciated, as I have never even owned a pickup truck before, let alone a beautiful beast like this!

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-03-2011, 02:16 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Brian first off welcome to the site. You are correct some motors have their own little quirks but being that your trucks past issues are cookie cutter as far as what happens to our trucks your best bet is to grab a 6 pack and spend some time reading thru the wealth of information here. When you see something you want to read more about, there is a search feature in the upper right corner below where it says your name. Good luck !
Old 05-03-2011, 02:39 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 05-03-2011, 02:43 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

yeah read that..

Also if you do tear into it.. I suggest STC fitting. Its not hard and your right there anyway.

Oh and welcome THIS IS THE BEST FORUM FOR INFO ON YOUR 6.0 hands down . These guys are great and help out everyone.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:32 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Weberman3
First welcome to the sight. The first thing I did when I first got my 05 Powerstroke was get a EGR delete Onyx Head Gaskets, and ARP Head Studs. So far no problems at all. Now im working on getting a Edge CTS with EGR probe and fuel pressure. Then maybe some Aussie Stacks. Just a few things I am doing. Basically all my mods are major steps in bulletproofing the 6.0.
1. Get rid of the darn EGR
2. ARP Head Studs so the head gaskets will not blow(theres still a chance)
3. Onyx Head Gaskets (barely a chance of the gaskets being blown now)
4. A tuner or custom tune (not necessary but really helps)
5. Exhaust System (once again not necessary but really helps)

Some people say a coolant filter but I believe if you just get the system flushed, you should be okay. If your having problems with your oil cooler, replace that right away.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:35 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Send a message via MSN to Weberman3
First welcome to the sight. The first thing I did when I first got my 05 Powerstroke was get a EGR delete Onyx Head Gaskets, and ARP Head Studs. So far no problems at all. Now im working on getting a Edge CTS with EGR probe and fuel pressure. Then maybe some Aussie Stacks. Just a few things I am doing. Basically all my mods are major steps in bulletproofing the 6.0.
1. Get rid of the darn EGR
2. ARP Head Studs so the head gaskets will not blow(theres still a chance)
3. Onyx Head Gaskets (barely a chance of the gaskets being blown now)
4. A tuner or custom tune (not necessary but really helps)
5. Exhaust System (once again not necessary but really helps)

Some people say a coolant filter but I believe if you just get the system flushed, you should be okay. If your having problems with your oil cooler, replace that right away.
Old 05-03-2011, 06:49 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Thanks to all for the thoughtful replies. I have no doubt I will learn immense amounts here. I paid about three thousand less than the Kelley Blue Book retail, so I am still hoping that I got a "good deal".

It's a little painful to pay that kind of money for a vehicle that has more miles than the 2003 Jeep GC it will be replacing, but I have needs now that the Jeep simply will not accommodate. I fell in love with the first King Ranch I saw and that was that. I won't be pushing it at all with my current towing needs, but I simply wanted to know that my ~5000lb boat/trailer behind me will have all it needs to be towed safely.

Thanks again,
Brian
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.