Installed my Insight CS... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2011, 11:12 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 9 reviews
Installed my Insight CS...

So as some of you know, I scored and got a brand new CS with two dodge pillar pods for $160. I couldn't pass that up, so anyways i picked it up today, and got it installed (boy, the new Insight is a pain to setup ).

Everything was looking good, FICM read 48.5V on a cold start, battery voltage was around 12V with key on, but then I went and read the DTC's...

Here's the list, can someone explain what actions I need to take?

-P006A
-P0272
-P0480
-P0528

The thing is, the truck runs great and I don't hear anything wrong with it (injectors misfiring, choppy idle, none of that). So I'm a little frustrated/confused.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by SickStroke6.0; 05-02-2011 at 11:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 11:44 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickStroke6.0 View Post
So as some of you know, I scored and got a brand new CS with two dodge pillar pods for $160. I couldn't pass that up, so anyways i picked it up today, and got it installed (boy, the new Insight is a pain to setup ).

Everything was looking good, FICM read 48.5V on a cold start, battery voltage was around 12V with key on, but then I went and read the DTC's...

Here's the list, can someone explain what actions I need to take?

-P006A
-P0272
-P0480
-P0528

The thing is, the truck runs great and I don't hear anything wrong with it (injectors misfiring, choppy idle, none of that). So I'm a little frustrated/confused.

Thanks in advance!

P006A MAP - Mass or Volume Air Flow Correlation (Probably getting more air since you have AFE. Just a guess but it doesn't care if its more or less air its out of its range.)

P0272 INJ Cylinder #4 contribution/balance Power cylinder, valve train or injector (not sure whats going on there)

P0480 VFAN Fan 1 control circuit Short to voltage, short to ground, open circuit (probably wiring issue check all connections for the fan)

P0528 FSS Fan speed sensor circuit no signal Mechanical failure, short to voltage, open circuit, short to ground (again check everything)

I would just check all your wiring connections for the fan or clear them and read again just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

The injector one not sure maybe someone can chime in here but from what I understand if you clear it and it comes back it could be on its way out.

Hope that helps. Congrats on the price of that too sheesh thats a great deal.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:47 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordWake View Post
P006A MAP - Mass or Volume Air Flow Correlation (Probably getting more air since you have AFE. Just a guess but it doesn't care if its more or less air its out of its range.)

P0272 INJ Cylinder #4 contribution/balance Power cylinder, valve train or injector (not sure whats going on there)

P0480 VFAN Fan 1 control circuit Short to voltage, short to ground, open circuit (probably wiring issue check all connections for the fan)

P0528 FSS Fan speed sensor circuit no signal Mechanical failure, short to voltage, open circuit, short to ground (again check everything)

I would just check all your wiring connections for the fan or clear them and read again just to make sure it wasn't a fluke.

The injector one not sure maybe someone can chime in here but from what I understand if you clear it and it comes back it could be on its way out.

Hope that helps. Congrats on the price of that too sheesh thats a great deal.
I sure hope it's not an injector, this motor seems to eat them for breakfast, even with steady fuel pressure at 65 PSI and Synthetic 5W-40 oil.

And could either of the fan codes be caused by the removal of the EGR throttle plate between the intake manifold and the elbow?
Old 05-02-2011, 11:51 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
I sure hope it's not an injector, this motor seems to eat them for breakfast, even with steady fuel pressure at 65 PSI and Synthetic 5W-40 oil.

And could either of the fan codes be caused by the removal of the EGR throttle plate between the intake manifold and the elbow?
Do you have the EGR valve removed and unplugged also? I've heard and read where having it unplugged even with custom tuning to shut the system off can cause the fan to not work properly.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:

No I wouldn't think so at all. From what I understand about the EGR throttle (butterfly valve) it just helps the EGR system. But since its removed you may have bumped or broke a wiring harness and not realized it. I would just look around real good. Maybe someone else can chime in because the only time I have seen this (friends truck) plug was broke. This is assuming your EGR valve is unplugged and your tunes turn the EGR system off. If not plug the valve back in and rescan.

As far as injector eating issues if your eating alot and you have 5w-40 syn and 65psi pressure. I would say fuel quality and previous ownership are your biggest culprit.

Last edited by FordWake; 05-02-2011 at 12:12 PM.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
Do you have the EGR valve removed and unplugged also? I've heard and read where having it unplugged even with custom tuning to shut the system off can cause the fan to not work properly.
EGR valve is plugged in, but there are two plugs to the throttle plate that are unplugged.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordWake View Post
No I wouldn't think so at all. From what I understand about the EGR throttle (butterfly valve) it just helps the EGR system. But since its removed you may have bumped or broke a wiring harness and not realized it. I would just look around real good. Maybe someone else can chime in because the only time I have seen this (friends truck) plug was broke.

As far as injector eating issues if your eating alot and you have 5w-40 syn and 65psi pressure. I would say fuel quality and previous ownership are your biggest culprit.
Could this be the problem? I'm pretty sure the substitute for my diesel mechanic did this. It was not like this before my last injector was replaced. He also filled my coolant bottle to the brim.

I've owned the truck for the last 90,000 miles of it's short (134,000 miles) life, but fuel quality here is pretty crappy. I change fuel filters every 10k though.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:23 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Quote:
EGR valve is plugged in, but there are two plugs to the throttle plate that are unplugged.

Could this be the problem? I'm pretty sure the substitute for my diesel mechanic did this. It was not like this before my last injector was replaced. He also filled my coolant bottle to the brim.

I've owned the truck for the last 90,000 miles of it's short (134,000 miles) life, but fuel quality here is pretty crappy. I change fuel filters every 10k though.
I thought you were your diesel mechanic.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:25 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post
I thought you were your diesel mechanic.
I am now that my extedned warranty is out.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator

If you are worried about it hook it up to a real scan tool. Edge, Bullydog, Banks... All are not accurate.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:14 PM

Quote:

Yeah I would think that was it..

as far as your injectors.. Do you run additive? If you don't that would be a big help. I run diesel clean, and FPPF.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.