The story of my first trailer pull! - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 06:56 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
The story of my first trailer pull!

And what an adventure!

So the salesmen who sold me my 2005 f350 said he had a 13' camper trailer he would be willing to give away. Never one to shy away from a new toy, I accepted and went to pick it up 50kms away and haul it to my uncles acearage another 100kms away. This would be my first tow with my new PSD.

I took every degree of preperation I could to prepare to pick up my mystery trailer but unfortunately bought a multi-adapting straight hitch. Once I arrived to pick it up, I noticed how much lower the trailer frame was than my truck! Regardless, I hitched it up, leaving about 4" of clearence from the back end of the trailer

On a side note, the trailer turned out to be a late 70's smelly *** POS, but I see potential in restoration. Does anyone have some good info or sites on "vintage" trailer restoration?

After a Keystone Lite with Mr.Salesman I hit the highway. Within 10 minutes I noticed my EOT/ECT delta spiking sometimes to 16 degrees and usually sitting in the 208 (ECT) - 218/220 (EOT). Now it was only 10 degrees celcius (im canadian) outside and the trailer would only be around 1200lbs so Im wondering if I should be concerned about the temp the truck was situated around? Might the ridiculous angle of the hitch/trailer combo affect my engine?

I arrived at my uncles. Ground was very soggy as spring has been attacking the 4' snow banks. I went to back the trailer up and immediatly got stuck in skag/mud. I have highway tires definitley not suited for my situation, so I engaged 4x4. I could only rock the vehicle back and forth (i start with a crawl in drive to engage the 4x) but it never fully seemed to engage. This worried me as it was working fine all winter with no problems on-the-fly. could my lack of movement interfere with the 4x4 engaging? I dont have any way of telling if it is damaged other than jacking it and spinning the front tires. Anyways, after all was said and done I beleive the 4x engaged about 50 feet later but had no real way of checking.

And thats my story. Im just looking for some thoughts and opinions on my temp deltas and my 4x4 problem. The truck has been fine the 2 1/2 months Ive had it. Had the STC fitting replaced in the HPOP 5 days after I got it(!!) and I plan to do an egr delete and coolant flush/oil cooler replacement. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2011, 01:08 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would not think that a mere 1200lbs would make much of a difference, could it be the brakes on the trailer (assuming they were hooked up or even present) were dragging?
Old 05-02-2011, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Your temp delta was fine. Don't forget the effect of wind resistance on the trailer when towing also.

Check the vacuum lines to your hubs for the 4wd. or just turn on the A/C and see if it comes out of the defroster vent. That's what usually happens with a vacuum leak to the hubs.

It is very bad to for the 5r110 to rock your truck. Just a heads up before you are buying a new tranny.
Old 05-02-2011, 07:03 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
After a Keystone Lite with Mr.Salesman I hit the highway
Old 05-02-2011, 07:15 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post

What! He said it was a "lite".
Old 05-02-2011, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBNtheWoods View Post
What! He said it was a "lite".
There isn't enough alcohol in that to even call it beer.
Old 05-02-2011, 12:45 PM

He said he was Canadian - we usually reserve lite beer for children and the elderly, so it shouldn't really affect him.

You can crank your wheels a bit so you can get at the axle shaft and in neutral or park with the parking brake on, try and turn the axle. It wont turn if that wheel is locked in. Try again with the other side.

You could also try what my friend did in his new-to-him jeep. Get stuck in mud, open window and stick head out to see if wheel is turning while cranked to the right, hit throttle.
Old 05-02-2011, 01:02 PM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme oppressor View Post
He said he was Canadian - we usually reserve lite beer for children and the elderly, so it shouldn't really affect him.
Don't care who you are, drinking and driving is drinking and driving regardless of how you look at it. I have my reasons for feeling this way. I'm not trying to preach, just my .
Old 05-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Viking Heavy Diesel

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by supreme oppressor View Post
He said he was Canadian - we usually reserve lite beer for children and the elderly.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 AM

I must apologize, I never meant to nor would I ever advocate or encourage drinking and driving. I'm sure that the few Canadians lurking the PS.org board can appreciate a cold beer on a beautiful spring day out on a private lakelot But never would I get licked up and go towing trailers down hiways! Thanks for the info btw folks. Anyone with trailer restoration tips?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.