Can an ELC flush and switch be potentially bad? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 01:40 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Can an ELC flush and switch be potentially bad?

I've not found the answers to these questions so I apologize if they've been answered elsewhere.

If a system is in unknown shape with Ford gold coolant...and a person decides to flush with Restore and Restore plus, then refill using ELC coolant, what can the drawbacks be?

Will the Restore process actually dissolve any solids or goo that may be blocking or trapped in the oil cooler...thus making the cooler clear again? Or will it cause the cooler to become more blocked with stuff broken up elsewhere?

If the EOT and ECT are within spec with gold...it would seem to indicate the oil cooler is not blocked. How many find that later an oil cooler has to be replaced?

I ask because its not at all clear to me that a Restore flush will rid the entire system of goo or crud buildup in the cooler. If you're breaking stuff loose and flowing it thru the cooler during flushing...you're creating a bigger problem. Kinda like poking an animal in its cage so to speak.

You might end up with a coolant that is better suited to this engine...but also with a blocked oil cooler that ultimately provides the path for other terrible things to happen.

Is it best to go ahead and plan on a new oil cooler and pre-oil cooler filter just after the flush is completed and the new ELC put in?

I don't like the pics I've seen of blocked oil coolers. It seems the Restore process isn't going to dissolve and flush out whats really the problem. Unless I'm way off. Ford service says once the cooler is blocked...no flush nor any chemicals will help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 01:45 PM
The Silent Service

The flush with Restore will not clear the oil cooler of silicate build up. The only real way to ensure these build ups are removed from your system is to flush with Restore, then replace/rebuild the oil cooler. Then install a filter on the Coolant system at the same time.

I let the oil cooler go on my 6.0L back in January, its worth correcting now before it goes bad.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:54 PM

No chemical process will dissolve/breakup silicate buildup? It's a permanent product that can not be destroyed in the trucks cooling system? I'm not trying to be a wise crack...I'm seriously wondering if anything else can be done to save clogged coolers.

How can you rebuild the original oil cooler?
Old 05-01-2011, 01:55 PM
Premium Member

I have done exactly what you are asking. I noticed my ECT/EOT delta increasing and so I did a complete flush and ELC swap. Prior to flush, the difference in temp was 12-13 degrees on average. Now, after flush and ELC swap, it averages about 8-9 degrees of difference between ECT and EOT. Did the swap about 6,000 miles ago.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:16 PM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
No chemical process will dissolve/breakup silicate buildup? It's a permanent product that can not be destroyed in the trucks cooling system? I'm not trying to be a wise crack...I'm seriously wondering if anything else can be done to save clogged coolers.

How can you rebuild the original oil cooler?
Ford now offers a rebuild kit, runs around $200.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:03 PM

I have not flushed mine yet, (planning on this next Saturday) so I'm interested to hear responses to this.
Highest temp delta I've seen on a 88 degree day 1 week ago without towing is 11 deg. During the winter (In NC) did not top 8 deg.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Restore will clean out the silicate residue in your cooling system. That is what it is designed to do. In order to do so IT MUST BE ABLE TO CIRCULATE. If your oil cooler is clogged and the Restore can not circulate through it then it can not clean it out. There is no cure for a clogged oil cooler besides replacement. It the oil cooler is flowing and your delta is good you should not have any problems with the flush and switch. Most people who do the flush don't have any problems. However if there is any doubt about the oil cooler's condition replace it so you KNOW it is good. From there out it should be smooth sailing.

Last edited by PGreenSVT; 05-02-2011 at 05:33 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 06:36 PM

excellent info. I plan on doing the egr delete and coolant flush/oil cooler replacement one weekend soon. Im also going to upgrade the turbo drain vane and add oil and coolant bypass filters. Let me know how your project goes?
Old 05-01-2011, 08:34 PM

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I currently have a coolant bypass filter and run the ford gold coolant. Is the procedure to flush and restore any different with the bypass filter already installed?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 PM
Another 6Slow

Hey sorry to hijack but can I run prestone extended life

Sent from my DROID2 using AutoGuide App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.