Stock mpg vs custom tune mpg - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 12:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Stock mpg vs custom tune mpg

I'm doing an experiment om my truck trying to figure which mpg I get and so far I'm getting way better mpg on my stock tune. 13mpg in town whereas on my custom Eco tune I get 11mpg in town. Why is that? I've read and heard that you get better mpg with programmers/chips on a diesel truck but I'm not. And I'm using the same driving conditions. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 01:00 PM
The Silent Service

You're using the wrong tunes. Most experience the mpg gains on the high HP tunes, and keeping out of the throttle. I averaged 13.3 gal on stock tuning, with the Street tune I run its 14.6. I think if you run the performance tune, you'll see what your looking for.
Old 05-01-2011, 01:10 PM

I can either run the innovative race tune or the performance tune or the Eco tune, Ill still get 11. I just can't get above 12 for some reason. My boss has the same tune but his is a 2006 and he gets 12.5-13mpg in town.
Old 05-01-2011, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Mine does better around town with the stock tuning, but once I get on the freeway the higher the hp the better the mpg. Especially in hilly terrain or with strong winds. The higher power doesn't seem to work as hard.
Old 05-01-2011, 07:32 PM

Makes sense on the power and all. I wonder what kind of mpg I'll get towing a boat and a travel trailer on stick mode?
Old 05-01-2011, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
You're using the wrong tunes. Most experience the mpg gains on the high HP tunes, and keeping out of the throttle. I averaged 13.3 gal on stock tuning, with the Street tune I run its 14.6. I think if you run the performance tune, you'll see what your looking for.
Then why do they all make a tune called "ECO".
Old 05-02-2011, 03:44 AM
The Silent Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokersteve View Post
Then why do they all make a tune called "ECO".
Marketing... The economy tunes all have less HP than the performance tunes, and less fueling comparitively. They therefore are also safer than a performance tune. But all the research I've done, and what I'm seeing with my proformance tune, shows me the high HP tune with a disiplined foot is the way to go.

In town, I still get better mileage tuned. But all lot of it is how you drive, I stay under 2200 rpm and 8 lbs of boost. Anything over that and I start to suffer in city.

On Edit:
Here's what I've seen with my IDP tunes: (all the same route and driving habits as possible, 65/35 highway/city combined.)
Stock - 13.3 MPG
IDP - Street - 14.6 MPG
IDP - XRace - 15.3 MPG

Last edited by colo_dually; 05-07-2011 at 05:11 PM. Reason: Follow-up for the mileage I'm seeing with my IDP tunes.
Old 05-02-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colo_dually View Post
Marketing... The economy tunes all have less HP than the performance tunes, and less fueling comparitively. They therefore are also safer than a performance tune. But all the research I've done, and what I'm seeing with my proformance tune, shows me the high HP tune with a disiplined foot is the way to go.

In town, I still get better mileage tuned. But all lot of it is how you drive, I stay under 2200 rpm and 8 lbs of boost. Anything over that and I start to suffer in city.

Then would it not be better to use a high hp tune and cut the throttle map in half, adjust the trans and call that an eco tune?
Old 05-02-2011, 01:27 PM

On the hwy with a race tune empty with no wind nothing, cruise on 70, I get 15mpg. Which I think is way to low.
Old 05-02-2011, 03:07 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

I get better mileage running Matt's 8k tow tune than I do running his SRL tune. I drive both of them the same way but for some reason my truck likes the tow tune better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.