No power to FICM . . . occasionally - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 10:20 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No power to FICM . . . occasionally

I've had a few no starts lately. Each time, I can cycle the key (sometimes twice) and it will fire right up. Each time this happens, I get a P0611 and a P1378.

I've got an edge insight with the latest software in it so I can see FICM voltage and HPOP. I've now been allowing the insight to fully boot prior to starting the truck so that I can better see what's going on. HPOP builds very quickly; I have little concern there.

The FICM voltage on my truck has always been 48 or 48.5V; never showed a decrease. However, on some of my recent starts, I've noticed that the FICM voltage displayed on the Insight is 1.0 or 1.5v prior to cranking. Obviously, it won't fire up like that. I then cycle the key and I see a full 48V prior to cranking and it starts immediately.

It is my belief that the displayed 1.0 or 1.5v on the insight is really a measurement error and that the real voltage is zero. I believe that the FICM relay is not closing, therefore providing no voltage to wake up the FICM. This would also explain the P0611 & P1378 codes since the FICM is seeing low (or no) voltage during an attempted start.

The truck is a stock 05.

Thoughts or ideas?

Hemicbx
York, PA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 06:45 PM

I wanted to come back around and close the loop on this one. I did put a new FICM relay in the truck 2 weeks ago and have not had a no start issue since. I still occasionally allow the Insight to fully boot up prior to start and it's always solid @ 48v.

Today I popped the old relay open and tried to get a look at the contacts. Couldn't really see all that much, so that's a little inconclusive.

This is the second time now that the Edge Insight has either alerted me to or helped me solve a problem. Worth every penny
Old 05-15-2011, 06:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

You've just given me one more reason to purchase the edge insight.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:08 PM

Here's another:

Back in January I had to go about 100 miles to pick something up. I had been noticing that the battery light would flicker a little right after start, but then it'd go out.

I set the edge to show me battery voltage and started out to pick up my stuff. I saw that battery voltage wasn't up to snuff, but figured I'd drive a little anyway. About 10 miles from home, battery voltage had steadily trended downward and the battery light came on solid. New alternator, done. Most importantly, I didn't end up sitting on the side of the PA turnpike.

Get one. With the latest software update providing HPOP pressure and FICM voltage, it's even better!
Old 05-15-2011, 07:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Yea, it just seems like a necessity. I plan on keeping my truck for years to come. Where did you purchase it if you don't mind me asking? I was thinking of buying from xtremediesel.com.
Old 05-15-2011, 07:40 PM

Yes, mine came from Xtremediesel. Good service, fast shipping. There are loads of other good vendors out there who are also site sponsors. I think pricing is pretty consistent from one to the next.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.