Hellacious racket upon decellerating - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2011, 09:43 AM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hellacious racket upon decellerating

Hi fellas. I have an 05 Superduty crew with 40,000 miles. The truck has seen light service, mostly small boats and our pop-up, car trailer etc. This winter the truck sat for extended periods .If I had to use it during the winter it always seemed sluggish untill it was well into operating temps. Fired her up the other day and she was way down on power, some black smoke out the tailpipe ( more than normal) and after I would let up from the accelerator pedal there was a noise similar to what I can best describe as a tire scraping on a piece of plastic or a fan hitting the plastic shroud, neither of which is happening. Do the 6.0;s have a blow off valve? I'm going to service the fuel filters again, as I do my own maintainance, in the hopes that this might cure the low power.

No CEL,s but the noise is worrisome, as are all the other associated problems with the 6.0. I've always been a Ford person, with many gas half tons, and this was my first foray into an oil burner, I just picked a bad year I guess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2011, 11:14 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

MIne sometimes makes that same noise on decel as well and I cant figure it out, although I do not have a lack in power or anything and I think they all run a bit sluggish till they warm up a bit.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:58 AM

I always thought this would be my last truck, in fact it was a present from my wife (for putting up with her ) and I love it, but from what I've been reading here gentle use and regular maintanance is no guarantee. I enjoy working on my hotrods but they're old, I dont look forward to pulling the head, egr delete etc on a truck that hasnt seen 60, 70,000 miles yet. I wouldnt mind and would expect it if it was over 100,000 of hard use.
Old 05-01-2011, 12:36 PM

They are good trucks there are just some known issues to be taken care of. I have had pretty much all of the issues fixed but this one kinda baffles me, the truck runs totally fine no extra smoke and killer power, I was thinking maby the turbo is taking a dump but I've had it apart cleaned it an the tolerances looked good. When I shut it off the turbo spins down good but it does make some sort of rattling noises, but its done that since I bought it prior to me doing all the issue fixes. It spools up great too, up to 28psi.
My guess is if it is the turbo well I'll run it till it poops then thro a Powermax on or something. I like to throw new stuff at it once in a while anyway to keep the excitement up lol.
Ya I have an old 70 Cougar that I'm restoring as well, BIG difference working on them
Old 05-01-2011, 04:00 PM

I have had what they (people on the org) call a tea kettle sound. when decel with no power loss. if this sound like what you are hearing? what I've been told is that my egr cooler is plugged ( not sure) but I know I can not afford a blown head gasket so I have a egr delete on its way and plan on doing a coolant flush. I just don't know if I should flush before or after the delete.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:43 PM

Well, mine is deleted... So I dunno what it could be. I would probably do the coolant flush right after the delete.
I have to do the coolant flush too, I have all the stuff just short on time right now.

Last edited by DerwoodF350; 05-01-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.