Hi, new to forum, new to the 6.0, have ???'s - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 01:14 PM

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Hi, new to forum, new to the 6.0, have ???'s

Hi new to the forum, just recently bought a 06 FX4 Lariat Crew Cab with 61,ooo miles. I'm trying to figure out how heathly the engine is. I've been reading on the forums a far bit the last couple of weeks, and I read something about the coolant level in the tank should only be at the min. mark is that correct? Mine was fuller than the max. mark an some seemed to puke out, now it is halfway between the marks and seems to have stopped. It is the ford coolantand looks to be clean, but I don't know if it has been changed or flushed out.

If I did the flush with the restore will that clean out the oil cooler ports if they are starting to plug and by adding the coolant filter will that help with eventually flushing the cooler out?

I understand that I will need to get a Edge Insight, but I am not sure where you can get them, do auto parts stores carry them or is it only available on-line?

I bought the truck in Florida and brought it to Ontario, ran the VIN # at the local Ford dealer and no engine warranty work was done , but it had a trans. job done at 35,000 miles. Good or bad I own it now!

I would like to know if alot of the products that is talked about on the forum is readily available in Canada or under different trade names?

Sorry for all the questions, just don't know where to start, TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

The Edge Insight can be bought from many different vendors on the sight just go down to the vendor section or maybe one will chime in on here. There are several different threads on the org about the coolant flush and what it does versus what can happen just use the search function at the top of the page to find them. I haven't done it yet so I cant really tell you much about it but welcome to the org this place is great everyone is very helpful.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:45 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

i bought my truck and the coolant level was the same deal. Keep an eye on it, i feel the dealer i bought mine from pulled a fast one, filled the level of coolant to mask the real problem of a blowen oil/egr cooler. Long story short, if the coolant level drops fast get ready to tear into her for the coolers.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayson41 View Post
i bought my truck and the coolant level was the same deal. Keep an eye on it, i feel the dealer i bought mine from pulled a fast one, filled the level of coolant to mask the real problem of a blowen oil/egr cooler. Long story short, if the coolant level drops fast get ready to tear into her for the coolers.
Did you do the coolers yourself? Was it a big job?
Old 04-30-2011, 05:02 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

First off.....WELCOME to the forum! You'll find a tremendous amount of help/feedback on this forum.

Secondly, I would first suggest investing in a monitoring system like an Edge Insight. This will provide you the data points necessary for you to determine if you have or are approaching issues/concerns such as large deltas between ECT and EOT. Without a clear way to tell, you are just stabbing in the dark.

Now....there is lots of talk about EGR and Oil coolers, ELC, etc, etc, etc on this forum. Personally, I wouldn't replace the coolant on a truck until I have data points from a monitoring system first. Reason being, if you replace the coolant (even with flushes) you may find yourself having to replace the coolers and thereby possibly flushing your money on ELC down the drain and having to do it again after the coolers are replaced.

That said, get a monitoring system quickly, monitor key items (e.g. ECT, EOT, Tran temp, etc) and soon you'll know your next steps (e.g. ELC, replacing coolers, etc).

Oh...and of course, regular maintenance on the other critical items like oil, etc.

Good luck!
Old 04-30-2011, 05:56 AM
The Silent Service

Howdy, and welcome to the ORG, and to the 6.0L family of owners.

Coolant level should be at minimum on the degas bottle, still shouldn't puke, but its something to keep an eye on. The flush with Restore will help with the Oil Cooler if its clogging up, but its not a guarantee. The only way to get everything out of there is to replace the oil cooler itself. The coolant filter won't really filter out silicate deposits, which is what clogs the oil cooler, but it will trap the casting sediment from the block.

The Edge insight is primarily found on-line, I don't know of any auto shops that stock it in stores. Make sure you buy the CS, or CTS as the original versions are no longer being updated by edge for new expansions and PIDs.
Old 04-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
A flush with restore WILL NOT clear a clogged oil cooler. If in doubt, replace it so you know you have a good cooler to begin with.
Old 04-30-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
A flush with restore WILL NOT clear a clogged oil cooler. If in doubt, replace it so you know you have a good cooler to begin with.
thanks for the replies. I read about how there could be silicant build up in the cooler, wouldn't a flush wash that out, was thinking that since I don't know when the coolant was last changed it would be a good idea to flush and change it out.
Old 04-30-2011, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Red View Post
thanks for the replies. I read about how there could be silicant build up in the cooler, wouldn't a flush wash that out, was thinking that since I don't know when the coolant was last changed it would be a good idea to flush and change it out.
The Restore cleaner needs to be able to flow through the oil cooler to cleaner out. If it is clogged the restore can't clean it out. If is moderately clogged it could go either way. If in doubt replace it so you KNOW what you have.
Old 04-30-2011, 10:03 PM
Premium Member

If you want to see how healthy the engine is...

1) How is it on start up? Does it smoke?
2) How is the all the filters?
3) how are all the fluids?
4)Are there and signs of rough startup? breaking up or lack of power under acceleration? Heavy smoking? Drinking coolant? burning oil?
5) Gauges will tell you A LOT about the temps inside the engine which can help you pin point an issue.
6) is this a work/tow/play rig??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.