Advice on Buying a 6.0 - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2011, 12:41 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Advice on Buying a 6.0

I'm currently shopping for a crew cab 6.0 4x4 and have been sifting thru the online classifieds until I'm going cross eyed. Since there are so many to choose from, I'd like to pick the minds of the forum members as to what years you would target if you were buying and why. Right now my only criteria are 100k miles or less and don't I want to spend more than $23-24K and I'd like leather seats. I know that price may sound like I'm dreaming but they are out there for that money and cash is always a deal maker. I won't say color isn't factor because a black truck with black leather interior on a 100 degree day has been known to make me ...say things I shouldn't! I'm allowing a couple of grand to put in it right away for the requisite 6.0 fixes. I've got an Edge Insight on the way but it would sure be nice to be able to narrow the choices down before I make a road trip only to find that that particular year model had a flaw that was latent to all the trucks of that year model. There are quite a few nice Lariats out there in the 60-100k mile range of all the 6.0 year ranges within 500miles of home so I'm not above travelling a piece to find a good buy. I've got a friend at the local Ford dealership that will run OASIS reports for me so what would I be looking for? As far as the coolant,EGR cooler and Oil cooler, they'll be gone or changed quicky so I'm looking for stuff like whether or not the coil spring setups under the 05-07 was that much better than the leaf springs. No lift is planned for the truck. My 02 model had the leafs and tended to road walk a bit which sometimes became an issue towing my 5er camper with a toy trailer behind it. Is the tow/haul feature that much better than the 4R100 behind the 7.3's. Another friend with a 7.3 and big lift learned the hard way not to tow with hot tunes when he fried his tranny to the tune of $3 grand. So is the 6.0 transmission heavier built? The built in brake controller in the 05-07's would save me having to purchace and wire in an aftermarket unit. Has anyone one had issue with the built in unit? Please advice me if you folks have anything that will help mw with my choice.
Thank you in advance,
Highgear

Last edited by highgear; 04-29-2011 at 01:09 AM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I would say start with the 07 and work down into your price/feature range. Yes the coil spring setup of the 05-07 rides nicer than the leaf spring front ends. The 5R110 is a good transmission and does fine as long as you take care of it and change the fluid at the appropriate intervals.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:28 PM

I just bought a 2007 Ford f250 Super Cab Lariat Diesel with a 128,000 miles on it, 8 ft bed, 4wd, Off road package, leveling kit, Leer camper shell, exaust system and a Chip in it for 19,999 well with tax and stuff im into it 22,800. Im pretty stoked because KBB says its worth 26,000 and I can sell it private for 25,000 so i got a HELL of a deal. I got mine from a dealer, im assuming they gave me such a good because, you know lol WHO THE F is going to buy a Diesel right now.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Found a Nice 6.0

I want to thank all of you for the advice. I found an '06 Lariat with just under 43,000 miles on it in Newport, AR. Very clean and the Insight has never shown more thatn 9 degrees delta between ECT and EOT. I think i got it with little enough mileage that the coolant hasn't crudded up yet. I'll add a coolant filter and at 50k I'll flush the coolant. Engine warrently runs out in Sep of this year so after that I may do the EGR cooler delete. OASIS report shows no kind of warranty has been done to this truck. I'll pull my 5er with it first time tomorrow. This will tell me whether the truck has enough cahonies or if a mild tune is in order. Thanks again and I'll keep following the 6.0 forum for good info.
Highgear

Last edited by highgear; 05-14-2011 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:00 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Honestly here in Tx I can find 05-06s for less than 20k pretty easy. I would say look in Dallas. Got mine last month for 18.5k. That's around 100k+ mark though.
Old 05-13-2011, 08:01 PM

Oh wait just realized you got one!
Old 05-14-2011, 08:00 AM

Good lookin truck! Soon as that warranty is up get ya a EGR delete, some tunes, and exhaust and you'll be set! If you do tunes though, be prepared to do head studs.

When I pull I use the Innovative diesel Tow tune, and I've pulled 22k with it. She was squatin a bit but the motor pulled just fine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.