Lets talk acceptable EGTs - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jesse S

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 08:49 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Lets talk acceptable EGTs

So this is my first "fast" truck with a pyro, I have driven big trucks with pyros that I pay attention to while pulling a grade loaded for example, but never on a truck that I would do 1/4 mile runs in.

I recently installed my pyro in the driver side manifold in the end of it like suggested by the pix on Diesel Manor. Initially I wanted to install it in the down pipe right past the turbo like most big trucks I have seen have them, but the general consensus on here is to install in the manifold so I did.

My question is what is acceptable to see?

I have seen it rise to 1300-1400 when doing a 0-100mph run on flat land and the moment I let off it drops to 700 then 500-600 a few seconds later and continues to cool as I coast. What got me worried, last nite I was driving up a grade on a two lane highway going 65 or so pulling 850 degrees or so. I came up behind a loaded semi and stabbed it to pass him. The truck did so cleanly with ease but when I glanced at the EGT as I was getting back into my lane I saw mid 1600 degrees and let off the gas, and it promptly dropped down to 800 and then kept dropping as I coasted for a bit, then got back on it to keep my speed up and it stayed at 800 as it was before.

Are temps that high acceptable or should I not be stabbed passing up a grade, maybe stay part throttle?

I am running Erics Extreme Street and Race tunes, generally EGTs behave the same for both of those.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 08:57 AM
The Silent Service

Those numbers sound right for what folks experiance out of Erics tunes. The threashold for me is 1200* if sustained for more than a few seconds. For acceleration, and quartermile runs, momentary spikes upto 1600* are ok. Not the best, but I haven't found much on drag trucks having failures caused simply by high EGT's during drag runs.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:03 AM

Define "momentary" though. If I run 0-100 after a second it is at 1300-1400 and stays there for the 13-15 seconds of the run. Is that momentary?
Old 04-28-2011, 09:12 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I would consider that momentary. Alot of guys will be pretty conservative when talking egt's. I don't even look at my egt gauge when I race, pull, dyno etc. IMO spikes of 1600* while running the quarter, pulling a sled or messing around on the street are not going to kill your engine. I would not make it habit, but I wouldn't get too worried about it if it happens every once in awhile. You run into trouble when you hold high egt's for long periods of time such as pulling a long grade with a load behind you.
jacksun likes this.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:21 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Think about saturation. How long does it take metal to get to 1600 degree or 1400 degree and start melting? A few seconds, no, but how long? I set my alarm at 1350, and usually when it starts going off I'm usually going way over the speed limit anyway!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.