6.0L number 3...... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 10:03 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
6.0L number 3......

Looking to pick up my Third 6.0L. I have had great luck with all of my trucks. Anyhow This is the first one I have purchased out of warranty. Truck has 125k miles on it, and has a clean oasis....just had inject #7 done under warranty 3 years ago, and fuel pump back in 05. Anyhow The truck is about 700 miles from where I live and was wondering what people think about having a local dealership where the truck is located doing an inspection. The local dealership told me that they will do one for $200. Seller told me he would split it with me, and if there is an issue he will fully refund me my half. My question is this, what do Ford Dealerships check in this inspection? I know they check the suspension, but im more concerned with injectors,HPOP, EGR Cooler, Oil Cooler, and Coolant pressure. Is anyone familar with this inspection from Ford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 03:41 AM

i highly doubt they would check all of that. some of these things to check you literally have to remove and do a visual inspection.
Old 04-28-2011, 11:03 AM

Well ill tell you, I just bought my first diesel, an O5, from a ford dealership. And within 5 days of owning it the stc fitting in the hpop went. So obviously they don't go to great lengths to ensure a working vehicle which is unfortunate. So in summary, probably everything under the manifold is to your discretion...
Old 04-28-2011, 11:35 AM

Well ill tell you, I just bought my first diesel, an O5, from a ford dealership. And within 5 days of owning it the stc fitting in the hpop went. So obviously they don't go to great lengths to ensure a working vehicle which is unfortunate. So in summary, probably everything under the manifold is to your discretion...
Old 04-28-2011, 01:01 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

from what i've read it sounds like people repeatedly say check the maint. items, check the preventative items(coolant flush, etc) and if at all possible put a scanner on it and go for an extended test drive. Mines under warranty so i sort of did it backwards. The other option is negotiate the price down to a safe point that you are ok w/ having to pay out of pocket to fix something major.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:40 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonto View Post
Unfortunately, that is the one thing that will fail without warning, and there is no preventive action for it other than replacing it. They don't all fail, but they all could. That something that should always be replaced when any major work is done, and some will tear the top half off the motor just to do it even if nothing else is being worked on.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:07 PM

I spoke to the dealership about the inspection and they said they would do a full diagnostic and drive it to record the delta from EOT vs ECT, as well as check for coolant pressure in the Degas bottle. I think it will be well worth knowing what Im about to get into.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:36 AM
Premium Member

That does sound good. If it all checks out, you should still take an Insight or Scan Gage with you for your own test ride, just to make sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.