2006 purchase - maybe tomorrow - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 09:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2006 purchase - maybe tomorrow

Found a 2006 4x4 6.0L extended short. 76000 miles, one owner who was a lady that didn't touch it I think...lol. There isn't a mark on the body or wear on the interior. Tailgate has one tiny scratch. It's almost "that clean" and straight. The engine is spotless...not even dust on it. No leaks anywhere.

I had the Oasis ran and it was made in 4/06...sold in 8/06. So some warranty is left on the engine. Its all original, never tampered with. No residue on the degas top...and it had the CORRECT amount of coolant in it. I can't say how many I've looked at where the bottles were dry.

The Oasis said at about halfway in its life...it had a CEL for EGR sensor. Replaced...OK. Thats it. Not a thing more. And it's been under warranty the whole time so there isn't any reason this person should have taken it to a private shop.

I'm pretty impressed by it. It ran and drove like a brand new truck. Very tight, smooth and solid feeling. No rattles or anything.

Meanwhile...I'm talking to the mechanic (ford dealership) about it while he's working on a new head gasket job. Cab on. He said he can have the heads off in the amount of time it takes to lift the cab. There sat the heads and he was removing the oil cooler. He was nice enough to talk and show me everything he'd done. And showed me the bad head gaskets.

And he showed me a pile of oil coolers he had that were clogged. He hooked up a garden hose to one and water barely flowed thru it.

His logic however is where we disagreed. His claim was that lack of changing coolant often enough clogged the coolers. This in turn caused coking on the turbo vanes...causing overboost which ruins the head gaskets. He even showed me a headgasket failure point (which wasn't really proof of what he was saying).

Anyhow...I found it ironic that I'm considering this 6.0L truck while standing there looking at all this and him telling me they get $4000 for a head gasket job and new oil cooler. Claimed the clogged coolers can never be flushed out or cleaned.

I personally think this truck can be saved by using CAT coolant after a nice refreshing flush of Restore and Restore Plus....and all that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 11:54 PM

I think you will be better off "saving" it by deleting the EGR altogether. That's just my opinion. Probably an oil cooler while it's apart...
Old 04-28-2011, 09:02 AM

From what you wrote the diesel mechanic was saying change your coolant often. What is often? 50,000 miles?? I agree with what he said... Nothing but the IRS last forever, change your coolant every other year and enjoy the ride.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Neil, I have to agree on one thing the mechanic told you. Not changing the coolant often enough will definitely clog the oil cooler. However Ford's stated service interval is 100k miles or 5 yrs and to the best of my knowledge they have not changed it. So what is the proper interval? Who knows? There have been plenty of trucks with less than 35k mile and clogged oil coolers. So those following Ford's own recommended service intervals thinking they are taking good care of their trucks are getting unpleasantly surprised.

A clogged oil cooler will lead to elevated oil temps which could in turn contribute to coking the turbo bushings but since the oil doesn't come into contact with the VGT vanes I don't see how the two are related. Turbo vanes get sooted up with carbon from the exhaust and not exercising the turbo well leads to sticking vanes. Yes that could lead to over boost and possibly blow head gaskets by I don't think it is a leading cause, and the cause and effect relationship he was talking about just isn't there.

So I believe and recommend that people just take that out of the equation by flushing and changing to ELC. That will just make the problem go away and you can go by the Ford recommended service interval. And I still suggest making the egr system go away if you can. No good can come of dumping sooted up exhaust back into the combustion chambers.

Anyway it sounds like you have found a nice truck and anything you ever wanted to know about it can be found right here.
Old 04-28-2011, 03:33 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil View Post
Anyhow...I found it ironic that I'm considering this 6.0L truck while standing there looking at all this and him telling me they get $4000 for a head gasket job and new oil cooler. Claimed the clogged coolers can never be flushed out or cleaned.
What type of metal are the factory oil coolers made of, steel, or stainless? Anybody know what grade?
Old 04-28-2011, 04:02 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLDHRSE View Post
What type of metal are the factory oil coolers made of, steel, or stainless? Anybody know what grade?
Looks like it's aluminum. We have a Alloy ID machine at work, but the software is set up to read S.S. only.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:11 PM
Premium Member

I know that aluminum would be best for heat dissipation/transfer, and I have not seen an oil cooler off the engine up close and personal, but the pics I have seen haven't really looked like aluminum. Although, looking at a pic is certainly no way to get accurate info on material composition....
Old 04-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Powerstroke Techie

After your post I have one under my work bench and had to check for myself. LOL, but it looks and feels like aluminum, I just dont know what aluminum alloy it is.
Old 04-29-2011, 07:45 AM

The cooler I saw at the dealership in the parts cleaner looked like a hard grade aluminum. Didn't look like any stainless I'd seen before if it was.

I think the Ford service tech was implying cut the Ford interval for changing in half...so 50K.

I conveyed to him that it was my opinion, after reading posts here, the EGR cooler gets starved of coolant from a clogged oil cooler, and the EGR cooler fails (overheats?) and dumps coolant into the EGR stream...and ultimately into the cylinders which causes high cylinder pressures...which ruptures the head gaskets. Perhaps because of the OEM coolant which turns to gel because of EGR heat or ??? At least I could tell he was going to research this...and didn't just blow me off. Hope I was half right .

The ELC coolant idea is something I embrace. I've been using ELC in diesels since 1997. And I always switched my Dodges to ELC fairly quickly. Shell Rotella ELC is what I always used...the "red stuff". Lately I've been using Fleetguard Optimax red.

As well...in gas engine vehicles I have (Trailblazer and my company Ram 1500) I've always just drained the pet**** and refilled once every spring. Its cheap, easy and I always know my coolant is good all year. Maybe overkill...but a gallon of Dexcool concentrate per year is cheap considering what I've seen in 5yr interval changes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.