Water Methanol Injection - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 01:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Water Methanol Injection

Was just reading the article in the latest issue of Diesel World magazine, and am considering this. I did a search on the forum, and found that the last time this topic was discussed was December of '09. Im sure theres been advancements since then. I understand that it can lower your EGT's, and increase power and fuel economy. I also understand that the mix percentage is debatable. I'd like to get some feedback from those of you that have run it in your 6.0.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 02:18 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Post #14.
snow performance...
Old 04-27-2011, 03:13 PM

So you can set it to inject at a pre-designated boost?

You have any more pics of where/how you installed you jets?

What about the cons I've heard about? i.e. Increased cylinder pressure, valve stem erosion, rust, etc
Old 04-27-2011, 03:33 PM
The Tamed Racing Driver

I have a AEM water methanol kit on my truck. Personally, if I did it all over again I would have spent the money on something useful. I see no real drop in EGT's and only the slightest amount of power increse. If you looking to lower EGT's or gain power then I would do it the old fashion way, i.e. turbo, intercooler, ect.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:59 PM

You also have a 7.3, so i would tend to think your results will be different than with a 6.0.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mah77 View Post
So you can set it to inject at a pre-designated boost?

You have any more pics of where/how you installed you jets?

What about the cons I've heard about? i.e. Increased cylinder pressure, valve stem erosion, rust, etc
The stage 2, is boost activated. It has 2 adjustable settings. The first setting is for the pump to turn on half pump psi at what ever low boost you want (ex: I set mine to come on at 15psi of boost) Then the high setting is set to have the pump come on at full pump psi when you set it (ex: my high psi is set at 25psi of boost). When my boost hits 25psi the pump is pushing out at 150psi. Snow gives you different injector nozzle tips to match your motor HP output. So if your running a all stock motor, your gonna use the smaller nozzles, a mild modded motor is gonna use one small nozzle and one large nozzle, a heavy modded motor will use the 2 larger nozzle injectors. In the instruction manual it gives you the HP level and which nozzles to use.

The original nozzles are your basic 1/4" push to connect hose to a 1/4npt thread that they drilled and tapped the ID to a 1/8npt for the injector nozzles. The issue I had was the push to connect cracked at the 90*. Snow wanted $80 to replace the push to connect with injector, so I made my own using a 1/4" compression hose fitting, to a 1/4npt and drilled and tapped for the 1/8npt injector nozzle.

The Stage 3 MPG can activate by boost or EGT, it has 3 injectors, the smallest injector comes on at 2psi to gain MPG while driving. The other 2 injectors come on at what ever lo/hi settings you give it.

I've read the cons on W/M, and know that if I wanna play, I'm gonna pay. I've had it on my truck for 3yrs without motor issues, but I'm studded. I also don't use it everyday, only when I tow or feel like playing.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:35 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to 2003kingranch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilpooh View Post
The stage 2, is boost activated. It has 2 adjustable settings. The first setting is for the pump to turn on half pump psi at what ever low boost you want (ex: I set mine to come on at 15psi of boost) Then the high setting is set to have the pump come on at full pump psi when you set it (ex: my high psi is set at 25psi of boost). When my boost hits 25psi the pump is pushing out at 150psi. Snow gives you different injector nozzle tips to match your motor HP output. So if your running a all stock motor, your gonna use the smaller nozzles, a mild modded motor is gonna use one small nozzle and one large nozzle, a heavy modded motor will use the 2 larger nozzle injectors. In the instruction manual it gives you the HP level and which nozzles to use.

The original nozzles are your basic 1/4" push to connect hose to a 1/4npt thread that they drilled and tapped the ID to a 1/8npt for the injector nozzles. The issue I had was the push to connect cracked at the 90*. Snow wanted $80 to replace the push to connect with injector, so I made my own using a 1/4" compression hose fitting, to a 1/4npt and drilled and tapped for the 1/8npt injector nozzle.

The Stage 3 MPG can activate by boost or EGT, it has 3 injectors, the smallest injector comes on at 2psi to gain MPG while driving. The other 2 injectors come on at what ever lo/hi settings you give it.

I've read the cons on W/M, and know that if I wanna play, I'm gonna pay. I've had it on my truck for 3yrs without motor issues, but I'm studded. I also don't use it everyday, only when I tow or feel like playing.
So did you gain any mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Old 04-27-2011, 04:52 PM

Great info Lilpooh! Did the intake elbow come with your kit? Surprised to see it was plastic, but with the bungs it makes sense. I'm studded now too, and only plan on using it for towing. I would be interested in the mpg gains on the stage 3 just for normal highway cruising, but didn't like the sounds of some of the cons by running it all the time.
Old 04-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003kingranch View Post
So did you gain any mileage?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
I never tried it for milage, when I set my low setting on 8psi to turn on(lowest recommended setting) it makes the motor bog down. I run the 2 larger injectors which flows too much W/M for the motor to use up at that RPM/boost range. Maybe if I were to switch out to the 2 smaller injectors I'll be able to use the W/M at the lower boost setting. Like I said, I use mine for towing and play. When towing up a hill I'm above the 15psi setting and the RPM's/boost are up to match the larger injector nozzles.

That's why the stage 3 MPG has there real small injector coming on at 2psi, for better fuel milage. I don't know anybody that has the Stage 3 for there opinion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.