Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

Just installed BPD with question

858 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  BigRed02 
#1 ·
Got a question about my new system I had installed on the EX. After the lack of lube rape I recieved on the bill:crazy: I learned that there was no draining of the coolant, which is what I believe was the catalyst of my problem was. I had the dealer do a "flush" for me a few months ago that I later found out was just a dump and fill. Well a dump of Gold stuff and fill with CAT ELC. So yeah a mix of good and bad equals worse. I still haven't had a chance to flush, but am I looking at major problems if I don't do it in a hurry? I had the full bullet proof system installed. I have a 500 mile trip coming this weekend and wondering if I should just pass on taking the EX if I don't have time to flush? Also hoping i'll have good luck with the fleetrite stuff I bought.

#2 ·
Wow who installed the kit and what did they charge? Was looking to have it done soon and wasnt sure of an installed price.. Did they not change the coolant when they did the job. Also once you have the bulletproof kit on shouldnt the coolant be a non issue(no stock oil cooler to plug up)?

#3 ·
The only gold coolant would have been in the engine block since everything was taken apart to install the BPD components. While I agree the flush wasn't done correctly by the shop performing the work, you shouldn't have any problems with taking the EX on your trip. In fact, you won't have to worry about coolant clogging up your oil cooler again! :thumb:

Your ELC coolant has already mixed with the gold, so you may not be able convince them that it still has the gold in it. If it were me, I would want them to fix the problem at there expense. Regardless, you should be fine.

Wow who installed the kit and what did they charge? Was looking to have it done soon and wasnt sure of an installed price.. Did they not change the coolant when they did the job. Also once you have the bulletproof kit on shouldnt the coolant be a non issue(no stock oil cooler to plug up)?
Yes, the coolant becomes a non-issue with the BPD kit. Even still, he wanted the flush done and the shop didn't do it correctly.

#4 ·
Appreciate the input Evil, i figured as much about not having to worry. Oh and the cost out of pocket was $3400 after the aftermarket warranty threw me a bone of $750. The warranty was orig not going to cover it at all, I had to threaten bloody murder, so they authorized $750 to shut me up. Hey just a side note, if you guys out there have aftermarket warrantys, especially if the company is "AUR," confirm that this system is covered, you may be surprised, even if you did buy the gold-tungston-platinum with showering bits of diamond coverage. Just a heads up on it. Thanks again guys for the input

#5 ·
My warranty was more like Golden Shower Coverage. Avoid 'em.

#7 ·
That sucks! It's always better to be pissed off than pissed on. :hehe:

Big Red, did you specify that you wanted a coolant flush when you had the work done? I wouldn't have assumed that they were going to do that. I didn't when I put my BPD oil cooler in but I was already running ELC.

One good thing is the ELC will help clean up the mess from the Gold. I would flush it when you get a chance but I wouldn't worry about using the truck in the meantime.

#6 ·
Mine just payed for itself. My truck is getting wrapped up today after blowing a headgasket. Approx $3,500 covered by warranty. I only owe a $200 deductible. I'll end up paying more than that, cuz I had them install some upgraded goodies.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.