MPG Question... - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 05:39 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MPG Question...

ok, so it's now warm outside and i really expected my truck to start doing better on fuel but i was wrong. All winter i got 12 mpg to 12.5 mpg and as high as 13.0mpg and as low as 10mpg.

Since it's warmed up i thought it would get better but it hasn't. I'm still hovering around 12.9 to 13.4 mpg.

My truck is totally stock and i'm light on the skinny pedal. I have an 07 with 3.73 gears. The truck is empty most of the time.

Is their anything i can take a look at or could something possibly be wrong with my truck and be causing the bad MPG. I did just replaced the fuel filters a couple hundred miles ago and i'm running 5w40 rotella T6 oil.

Thanks,

Chris
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 06:04 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Are you in the northern area? There may still be some winter blend you are using, and not aware. Check around for some station that has changed back. Good simple place to start looking.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How much of a difference will I see with summer fuel vs. Winter fuel? I've fueled up at a few different places now and mpg is the same. 13.0 and wont go higher. Im located in Pennsylvania.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:21 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Thats what I run in town all the time cold or hotand it sux . Highway long runs I hit 15.5 at the
most thats on the read out. Hand calculated I have now real Idea being I'm on 36" 13.50's and 7" of lift.
Oh I'm in South Texas in the 90's here already..
Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Im on basically stock tire size so id think id be doing better than I am. Ill have to check fir #2 fuel. Is their anything motor wise I should look into. Cleaning egr? Would that help.
Old 04-26-2011, 04:13 AM
The Silent Service

Could be a whole list of things. Stock my dually with 4.30's averages 13-13.5 mpg, combined city/highway. Here's the easy things to check, air filter, fuel filters, oil. I recommend running a fuel additive like Diesel Klean. The other question is how do you drive it, I'm not exactly soft on my truck but I don't drive it to attract attention at every stoplight.

The more varsity level things you can check are: EGR valve, Turbo unison ring sticking, fuel pressure, FICM voltage.

The other other question I'd have for you is which stratagy is on your truck? Those have proven to play a factor in all of this.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:02 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Oil I just changed. Im running rotella t6. Fuel filters I just changed a couple hundred miles ago. I don't run diesel koren or cetain booster. Im easy on the truck for sure and light on the skinny pedal. I do want to pull the egr and clean it.

Im not positive on the strategy that's loaded on my truck. I guess id just have to get the dealer to re-flash it to the most current that's out.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:03 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Air filter is good too...
Old 04-26-2011, 06:10 AM
Serving Our Country!

I agree with beemer. Since youre in PA, Id be more inclined to say that the stations still have winter blend in their tanks. It may take a few weeks to a month for them to switch over to summer.

Where Im at, were still getting snow and freezing temps at night, so Im 100% that Im on winter blend, and Im getting 13-14 mpg.

As for the ford re-flash, sometimes newer isnt always better... Id try to find out what you have currently before just blindly going to ford... But your strategy will play a part in it too
Old 04-26-2011, 06:21 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

How can I figure out what strategy I have now?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.