DIY'er new to diesels to perform EGR surgery - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
DIY'er new to diesels to perform EGR surgery

Hey ya'll. So I'm a new PSD owner and brand new to owning a diesel engine. I dont particularly know alot about disassembling an engine, but being a welder by trade, I figure I know enough about tools and dismanteling processes that I can tackle installing a BP EGR delete kit as well as a few other mods.

Since I purchased the truck 2 months ago I installed a 4" MBRP turbo back w/ cat delete and installed an edge insight cts, which took me the afternoon to finish. But this will be a weekend operation and time is definitley critical as I use the truck for work in the week. I will be replacing the EGR as I said, as well as installing an OEM oil cooler, dieselsite coolant system, upgraded turbo drain, as well as a restore flush to make way for some zerex elc. (maybe tap for a pyrometer too?)

Can someone maybe give me a 1-10 on the ol difficulty scale and maybe some tips or advice? Rock on!

Last edited by tonto; 04-25-2011 at 03:22 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 04:30 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
10 being the hardest, I give it a 5-6. I had the oil/fuel filter tower, turbo, and intake off in 1.5 hours. It's not a hard to do project and can be done in a week-end. Start your flushing Friday when you get home from work, the flushing takes up alot of time.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:55 PM

Did mine two weeks ago I would give it a 7 since your new to the disassemble process. It took me 3 days total but I took my time and did other stuff to.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:26 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Thats a busy weekend. I tried to get my egr delete done on a friday night. Needless to say it carried on into saturday, and I was sore untill tuesday.
Old 04-25-2011, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox'sFord View Post
Thats a busy weekend. I tried to get my egr delete done on a friday night. Needless to say it carried on into saturday, and I was sore untill tuesday.
My ribs were killing me from laying on the rad support!! LOL!!
Old 04-25-2011, 07:42 PM

Can my edge insight clear the check engine light or do I need the sct x3? also what are some good solvents to remove all the dirt and grease ill be working in?
Old 04-25-2011, 10:23 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordWake View Post
Did mine two weeks ago I would give it a 7 since your new to the disassemble process. It took me 3 days total but I took my time and did other stuff to.
agreed ^^^

I started mine on sunday and got almost everything off. Today i just cleaned up the parts i took off while waiting for fedex to show up with my semi-bullet proof kit, they showed up at 5pm.

The hardest part for me so far has been the 3 turbo bolts, from the looks of the bolts im the first one to ever tear into it.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

Difficulty scale is really subjective. It depends on how mechanically inclined you are and you confidence level in your own capabilities. I wouldn't put it at more than a 5 but I can see how some might consider it a 7. Give yourself plenty of time since it is your first time. It can easily be done in a weekend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.