Just Bought First Diesel Need Advice on What to do First?? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 01:42 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Just Bought First Diesel Need Advice on What to do First??

Just bought a 2005 f-250 extended cab 4x4 bone stock with 52,000 miles. What are the first things I should do to make this truck last. Im no street racer or heavy tower. Mainly just my 16ft flats boat. I dont plan on a programmer but i was thinking 4inch turbo back exhaust and maybe an intake but i've heard alot of negative on aftermarket intakes on the 6.0 for some reason. I need all the advice i can get. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 01:48 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiderhockey88 View Post
Just bought a 2005 f-250 extended cab 4x4 bone stock with 52,000 miles. What are the first things I should do to make this truck last. Im no street racer or heavy tower. Mainly just my 16ft flats boat. I dont plan on a programmer but i was thinking 4inch turbo back exhaust and maybe an intake but i've heard alot of negative on aftermarket intakes on the 6.0 for some reason. I need all the advice i can get. Thanks
Your stock intake is good to 500 hp, and since you dont want to tune it, you'll be fine with the stocker. exhaust is good. You'll want to get that ford gold coolant crap out (if it still has it) and put a good EC-1 rated coolant in it. A monitoring device that will allow you to monitor the oil and coolant delta is highly advised.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:53 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Yeah I was looking into the edge insight with egt probe for my monitoring device. What about egr delete us that a must or what I've seen mixed views on it
Old 04-25-2011, 02:05 AM

It has its pro's and cons. if you absolutlely do not want to tune your truck you could get the BPD egr valve BulletProofDiesel - Darn-Near Bullet Proof Diesel Products for your 6.0
with the delete you need a tuner to make the truck quit throwing codes. With the right coolant, a good monitor, and a clean egr valve, you'd be fine as far as head gaskets. The only other possibility of failure is in the egr cooler and oil coolers. I think. I'm tired and that doesnt sound right but someone will chime in lol
Old 04-25-2011, 02:27 AM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Allegedly flushing the gold out and putting in ec-1 coolant should solve the plugged cooler problems. A monitoring device will tell you that. A difference of 15* or more between the oil and coolant temps will tell you that the oil cooler is clogged(oil being hotter) as usually is the case. Do that and you should be fine.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:02 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Reading material to get you started.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 04-25-2011, 04:59 AM

Research the flushing process. I found it easiest taking the whole day off, remove the petcot bottom of the Rad, stick a hose in the degas bottle and run the truck for 20 min. With heat on.then add restore, water and drive for hr. Repeat hosing process if adding vc9. Then I'd pour in 30 gal of distilled water with petcot out, while the truck is running, heat on. Then drive for an hr with distilled water(heat on). Drain petcot , (add bypass coolant filter)And add 3.5 gal of the red stuff(elc concentrate). Top off with distiled water. Fyi trying to remove the t stat is a mutha funka I just left it in. Don't bother removing the lower Rad hose I did and it popped out on the road. Make sure u wait 60 min between drives to cool down the motor before adding water etc. Good luck
Old 04-25-2011, 05:21 AM

There are some helpful videos on powerstrokehelp.com. He references some ideas that seem to be common among the various forums on how to make your 6.0 bulletproof. Don't know that everyone will agree with everything he says but it is a good starting point. Sgt. Smith Productions also has a few good videos on routine maintenance that I found helpful. Good Luck.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:01 AM

Coolant Filter too
Old 04-25-2011, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiprek View Post
There are some helpful videos on powerstrokehelp.com. He references some ideas that seem to be common among the various forums on how to make your 6.0 bulletproof. Don't know that everyone will agree with everything he says but it is a good starting point. Sgt. Smith Productions also has a few good videos on routine maintenance that I found helpful. Good Luck.
That clown at powerstrokehelp is an a$$hat. Anybody that knows the 6.0 will tell you that he talks to hear himself. I'd look somewhere else for guidance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.