looking to buy first diesel, wanting some help before i buy - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2011, 12:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
looking to buy first diesel, wanting some help before i buy

hey everyone this is my first post here, and im hoping i can get some good repies on a new purchase for myself. i want to buy a truck, and ive always loved the sound, smell and look of diesels and for that reason i think i want one. a couple forums ive been told it wont suit me which is probably right. this truck will be for daily use, i dont have any type of trailer to pull, and at most just will be hauling stuff to the dump, or moving furniature etc.i know these trucks are made to work hard and pull big weight but there are diesel cars out there and they survive its the same concept just a smaller engine right? im looking at a coule of fords this week at a used dealership, a couple of 06's that are both already lifted and such, and have a edge evolution tuner, not sure how great that one is but its there dont mind getting a better one if itll help. there is also a 08 (wrong section for the 08 i know) id prefer the 08 due to being newer and doesnt have anything done to it from what i can see. only one of the 06's has the kms listed and its at 129k id say the other 2 06's would have 100-150. the past weekend ive been doing some research on the engine and i read about the head bolt issue what are some other issues that would have to be addressed upon purchase if they havent been already how do i tell if the other owner did any of these? i also know that you cant just get in and start the truck and go, im fully aware of that, and you have to let the truck cool down before parking it correct? i will definatly have a heavy foot with the truck (once warmed up) so the engine will get a work out every day, i would take longer routes to work and such daily to let the truck run longer instead of a quick 5 minute trip to work or the store. im also mechanically inclined and love wrencing on vehicles, so most repairs will be done by me. i know mainanence is key to longevity should i not be looking into the diesel?

sorry to all who read for the long story, just want to put all the details out there to get better help on the purchase of a new truck becasue i cant figure out if i should make the jump to diesel and thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2011, 03:04 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
What to look for when buying a used 6.0L

Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 04-25-2011, 01:16 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Welcome! Hope you buy a PSD!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:30 PM

Because of its history, you can use that as a major bargaining tool to get the best price. To use an old cliche..."you are in the driver's seat" when you go in armed with the appropriate info. You should be able to drive out considerably below its resale value, depending on how long it has been on their lot. Good luck!

Edited to add....I am referring to the '06's that you described.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:24 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Check the Oasis report from the dealer and see if its been in for alot of work. That would lean more towards a lemon type vehicle. If its clean I see it as it just hasnt gone out yet or the work wasnt done at the dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.