Did I make a mistake? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Did I make a mistake?

I just traded in my 2000 f250 7.3 which ran awesome, however the "ford cancer" got the best of her! So after searching i decided to by an 07 f350 6.0 Outlaw Edition. The truck looks sweet, drives strong, however, i keep hearing of all these issues with the HG's, bolts, coolers, etc. I am a newbie to this site so excuse me if this has been covered. What should i be most concerned with? I drive alot, tow a travel trailer, boat and equipment for my job. Kinda scared to tow at the moment. Truck has 83K miles. Should I drive it hard "like nomal" and hope something fails before warranty is up? Any help would be great. Also, it has a turbo gauge (not sure where normal is). what gauges should i get?

Jeff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-24-2011, 04:20 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
You want to be able to monitor EOT (Engine Oil Temp.) and ECT (Engine Coolant Temp.) for sure. You don't want to see more than a 15 difference between the two, that will indicate an oil cooler is restricted which causes all the other issues. I suggest an Edge Insight CS or CTS for the gauges. As far as head gaskets, cooler failures, do a complete coolant flush with Restore and Restore Plus to get the Ford Gold coolant out and refill with a CAT certified ELC coolant with an EC-1 rating. Also suggest installing a coolant filtration system.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Premium Member

Nope, no mistake, you got the right truck. Hook up an Insight or gages like already suggested and you will quickly find out if you have issues with your oil cooler. No need to worry. If your temps are good it'll be fairly cheap to keep it that way. If not, at least we all know how to deal with it before it becomes a major repair. It would be a good idea to follow the previous suggestions soon.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:57 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Send a message via AIM to mustangman02232 Send a message via Yahoo to mustangman02232
i like the scan guage because its cheaper and can be used in multipule vehicles, and for trans, egt, boost, fuel preasure mechanical are more accurate. a coolant flush and coolant filter will help alot to and flush it with restore and restore plus and replace with ELC.

these trucks love to be driven hard and towed heavy with, especially with an EGR delete
Old 04-24-2011, 05:07 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Drive a 7.3 then an 6.0. You will figure it out from there! I have been in both, I am in a 6.0 right now!

So, 6.0s DONT BLOW HEAD GASKETS unless something else fails. The EGR coolers suck the coolant sucks. I am studed but that is before I figured out where the issues were on this motor.

Dude, watch your temps make sure all is good and you are fine! The weak links are easy to fix!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

big thanks to all. Mcflan has been a tremoundous help. I will start knocking off these items as time and money allows. It does appear that my cat was removed. where is the egr? i would like to clean it. I do have another question. My truck came with a K/N filter which needed cleaned and re oiled bad, so i took it out and did so. I did unplug to "sensors" that were pluged into the intake. While waiting for the filter to dry, i recalibrated my key fob. Now i have the service engine light on! which one caused it to throw a code? my guess is the key fob. How do i clear it?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:48 PM
Don't you worry about it

Its not the key fob. Its the mass airflow sensor. If you have a code reader just clear it or unhook the batteries for 10 minutes.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

thanks, will do. do i need to unhook both batteries?
Old 04-24-2011, 07:08 PM
Serving Our Country!

wish mine was f350 i tow alot as well i wish a f250 could not sag so much with a 8k trailer
Old 04-24-2011, 07:11 PM
Mod Newbie

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flooringit View Post
wish mine was f350 i tow alot as well i wish a f250 could not sag so much with a 8k trailer
The springs are the same in an F-250 and F-350, difference is the blocks are 2" taller in the rear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.