Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum banner

My ECT and EOT are higher with CAT EC-1 !!!Why?

3K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  Gilstan 
#1 ·
Within the last month my truck I has received new head gaskets, ARP studs, new oil cooler, egr delete and an AirDog II. All other mods in my signatute were completed within the last 3 months. When I got the truck back from the shop I noticed they put in a green mulit-vehicle coolant. With that coolant my ECT was 190 and my EOT was 4 to 7 degrees higher. Yesterday I made the switch to Zerex CAT EC-1 after the system was completely flushed of the green stuff. Today I took the truck out and my ECT was 190 - 192 and my EOT was 200 - 204 degrees. A 10 - 14 degree difference does not make sense just switching out coolants. It's almost like my NEW oil cooler is getting clogged. Can anybody provide a reasonable answer.:confused:

#3 ·
that, and there have been cases of faulty oil coolers.

#4 ·
So you hit it with a round of restore, VC9 (or restore +)? And many flushes before the ELC?

#6 ·
I understand the flush process however I've been busy at work so I took the truck to a local Ford dealer and they completely flushed the system twice. I supplied them with the CAT EC-1 and distilled water. They used 3 of the 4 gallons of ELC. This could be my problem? If my New oil cooler is getting clogged, where did this debri come from? Why did it not clogg with the green coolant? Will multiple flushes with the restore and VC 9 solve my problem and unclog the cooler? Frustrated

#9 ·
My truck had both coolers replaced at 57,000 miles. My temps are between 6*-11* of difference when the coolant is below 195*. Once the coolant gets to or above, the difference is between 2*-6*.

#11 ·
Do you think flushing with Restore and Restore Plus or VC-9 will clear the cooler?

#12 ·
Really havent had any luck getting the oil cooler cleared up after any, even slight restriction. Seems like this is a common problem when flush and new oil cooler are installed. Seems like the new oil cooler plugs up faster than the old one. Anyone else ran into this?

#13 ·
Did the 1st shop put in the green stuff without flushing out the gold? Mixing the 2 is a recipe for jello.

#14 ·
If I had to guess they drained the coolant when doing the heads and did not flush. I have had the truck back from the shop for about a month and temps have been excellent with no problems. I even cut open the coolant filter that haad the green coolant and it was clean. It's when I got it back from the Ford dealership that I noticed the ECT & EOT temp spread. It took less than 20 miles to began seeing the temp spread.

I picked up Restore & Restore + today and will be doing a complete flush to attempt to clear the cooler. I'll keep everyone posted.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.