New to the forum with a few questions - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2011, 07:07 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New to the forum with a few questions

Hey guys just wanted to stop in and say hello. JD out of California.

Just purchased a 2006 F250 Diesel CC. Clean Oasis report and Carfax. One owner with 129k on the odometer. All services done at local Ford dealer. In and out truck looks extremely well maintained.

Been checking out the forum a bit and had a few questions. I'm all about reliability, for me the truck has plenty of power for my needs.

Because of the recent purchase cash will be tight for the next couple months. So, I was wondering where you guys would suggest I start with lowest cost first.

In other words, where should I start or what can I do that is relatively low cost but needed.

I know about the EGR cooler, but it may take a couple months to do. Is there anyway to tell if it needs my immediate attention? Any warning signs?

Should I be changing the coolant?

Is Amsoil 15-40 the suggested oil?

Any transmission needs?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 12:02 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Come on guys this is my first diesel and I picked Ford so how about some brotherly love.

There's a lot of acronyms and terminology to learn. I just need the quick and dirty version.

What I need to do starting from the cheapest fixes that I can afford today up to the more expensive fixes I need to start saving for tomorrow.

How about it? Who's gonna step and help me out?

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned I was from California...

Last edited by Nu2Ford; 04-23-2011 at 12:25 PM. Reason: sp
Old 04-23-2011, 12:58 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nu2Ford View Post
Come on guys this is my first diesel and I picked Ford so how about some brotherly love.

There's a lot of acronyms and terminology to learn. I just need the quick and dirty version.

What I need to do starting from the cheapest fixes that I can afford today up to the more expensive fixes I need to start saving for tomorrow.

How about it? Who's gonna step and help me out?

I knew I shouldn't have mentioned I was from California...
Get a gallon jug of Restore and Restore Plus to get that crap Ford coolant out. Next get a monitor to watch your temps. The temps will tell you about your oil cooler and EGR status. Seems most people on here like the Edge Insight for a monitor... That should be your starting point.
Old 04-23-2011, 01:46 PM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
For starters, your gonna need to check the delta between the Engine Oil Temp (EOT) and Engine Coolant Temp (ECT) if the you get more than 15* delta when the motor is fully warmed up (190*) while cruising at hy-way speed then your oil cooler needs attention. The cheapest route would be to get a hold of someone's scan tool that can read those temps. A ScangaugeII will run you about $160 and can monitor those temps and more.

Read this link for a good starting point on 6.0 issues.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L

As far as a quick reply, things around here get slow on the week-ends. The best thing to do is read,and read somemore. The more you read the more you'll understand the issues and myths.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:29 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Thanks for the reply you guys. I was feeling a bit lonely there for a second.

Woodsracer - I'll check out the Restore stuff

Lilpooh- thanks for the link. I'm gonna print that sucker out and go from there.

The guy who owned this truck was pretty anal about service and so on. How could I tell if he already changed the EGR cooler to like a Bullet Proof one? Is there a noticeable difference or any markings that would indicate a change?

The truck has 130k on it. The OASIS report was clean. I just don't want to do anything that has already been done.

I'm sure he had access to this site and may have made some changes.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:00 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Monitor your temps. Get a set of gauges like the edge insight or the newer edges. I have the chepo old edge insight and it gives me everything I could ever want (well save for FICM volts). If you determine everything is fine, simply swap out your coolant.

If you really want to do things right, get a coolant filter and ditch your EGR cooler!
Old 04-24-2011, 07:04 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Get a fuel pressure gauge and sender relocate hose. The truck I just got was very similar to yours. Well maintained and excellent condition with 124K kilometers(77k miles) I checked fuel pressure and it was barely 50PSI and dropped to well under 45 with mild acceleration. Less than 45 PSI and you risk damage to your injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.