Flushing coolant = Clogged oil cooler? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Flushing coolant = Clogged oil cooler?

I'm just getting a handle on the Gold coolant issue but, so far, what I have read seems to indicate that if you dump the Gold and go to the ELC, you are going to automatically have a clogged oil cooler pretty soon thereafter even if your ECT/EOT delta T's looked good before. I'm beginning to think just installing a coolant filter system, doing a good water flush and putting fresh Gold stuff back in is just about as good of a preventive measure and a whole lot cheaper for little peace of mind. I was considering buying a 6.0 with 104k on the odometer to replace my departed 7.3 with the understanding that I needed to hold back a couple of grand for coolant flush, coolant filter, egr delete or bulletproof egr unit and change the oil cooler only if needed. All this was to, hopefully, stave off the dreaded head gasket fiasco. I was planning on a mild tuner and exhaust for performance upgrades and going for dependability rather that a tire scorcher. It sounds like I'd just be killing a functioning oil cooler to switch to ELC and from what I understand, even the ELC stuff doesn't need to be ran more that 50,000 miles or so. Am I missing something here?
The more I read, the more I liked my 7.3! I threw a 4" exhaust, and Edge Evolution and a TIMAR air filter on and the thing was solid as an anvil and ran like a scalded cat! Damn car thieves anyway!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 05:40 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

u should buy an edge insight ,hook it up to the truck ur looking at and go for a test drive. if ect/eot are within 10-12* or under then its ok. if u buy the truck dump the gold asap. i finally did mine yesterday (trial an error flushing) get the zerex diesel ELC, concentrate i believe. restore and vc9 are recomended. now im running 2-3* cooler. i found it easiest pulling out the rad petcoct and running the truck with a hose in the degass for 20 min and repeating the process with 30 gal of distilled water followed by a couple of 60 min distilled water runs all with heat on blast. coolant filters are a must. that and rev-x in the oil btw my ect/eots are within 5-9* of each other, no sign of clogging. i guess that'll happen in extreme cases. i wouldnt run any tunes if ur looking for reliability imo

Last edited by f350powerstroke; 04-23-2011 at 05:46 AM.
Old 04-23-2011, 05:42 AM

This what was in my hoses with the gold stuff and it all disapered with the ELC. My differential has not changed, The coolant filter has not picked up the goo so the ELC has absorded it all. I know ELC can take some contaminents and feel safe now. Even the reservoir is now clear af all deposits. My Cooler was plugged with the same goo, before the flush though, and I had to change it. Sometime I wished I did the flush with the old cooler there to see if the ELC would have cleaned it.
So we did by friends truck and we just flushed out the coolant and installed the ELC and so far the ECT/EOT differential has not changed at all.

I have an other friend that we will do the flush and see if the ELC with improve the coolant flow in the cooler I think its a goo that the ELC can desolve sometime. I would hope I am right.
Attached Thumbnails
Flushing coolant = Clogged oil cooler?-hpim8208.jpg  
Old 04-23-2011, 06:37 AM

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
the goo and casting sand thats floating around in there is whats clogging the oil cooler, it will eventually go bye bye, a lot of the time takinng with it the EGR cooler and gaskets. so flushing breaks the stuff loose and cleans the system out, but extra stuff floating aorund during the flush is going to clog the oil cooler extra fast. most change the oil cooler core after the flush as piece of mind....it might not go right away after you did the whole procedure but it will eventually go on you, some guys experienced increased EOT and ECT deltas instantly others gradually....one of those things that you might as well do it while you have it down....i'm getting ready to do this whole process myself and have been searching and reading every single thread there is about it, hopefully what i have found and left here will be of help to you
Old 04-24-2011, 07:20 PM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgear View Post
I'm just getting a handle on the Gold coolant issue but, so far, what I have read seems to indicate that if you dump the Gold and go to the ELC, you are going to automatically have a clogged oil cooler pretty soon thereafter even if your ECT/EOT delta T's looked good before.... Am I missing something here?
That is absolutely incorrect! Yes, you are missing something. Unless the oil cooler is already plugged up, you are not going to plug it by doing this flush.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonAmericanBulldog View Post
the goo and casting sand thats floating around in there is whats clogging the oil cooler, it will eventually go bye bye, a lot of the time takinng with it the EGR cooler and gaskets. so flushing breaks the stuff loose and cleans the system out, but extra stuff floating aorund during the flush is going to clog the oil cooler extra fast. most change the oil cooler core after the flush as piece of mind....it might not go right away after you did the whole procedure but it will eventually go on you, some guys experienced increased EOT and ECT deltas instantly others gradually....one of those things that you might as well do it while you have it down....i'm getting ready to do this whole process myself and have been searching and reading every single thread there is about it, hopefully what i have found and left here will be of help to you
1st, that is incorrect. The only people changing oil coolers when they do this flush are people that already have plugged oil coolers.

2nd, everything stated after what I highlighted, well, negative. Unless you have money you don't like/need, or temp deltas in the range of 15 degrees, you won't be accomplishing anything by changing your oil cooler when you flush.

In 3 years of research, I saw one case of properly performed flush plugging an oil cooler, and that cooler was determined to have been plugged before the flush.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:20 PM

WLDHRSE is right on you need gauges to see where your temps are if the are 15* and under do a coolant flush the right way you must use the restore products.
2 stroker
Old 04-25-2011, 12:48 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the responses

I hope I did not come off as being against the 6.0. After re-reading my original post, it seems I might have come off negative. That's not the case at all. I'm just spoiled at how easy it was to improve the 7.3 vesus having to work on the 6.0 just to bring it up to par. I would certainly like to believe the 6.0's are basically sound engines and I really like some of the changes made to the interior, like the built in brake controller and a couple of other minor details that Ford made after the 2002 model that I had.

I have 2 step brothers and a neighbor that run the crap out of thier 6.0's and don't seem to have any issues...yet. One stepbrother has a 2003 that he bought new and he's an excavating contractor that will pull dozers, water trucks and other way large implements of destruction and he's got well over 175k on his truck. He's actually got an '09 6.4 that he leaves parked most of the time becuase it gets 8mpg. I think he's put a CP sensor on the '03 in all that time so that tells me something! On the other hand, I also have a good friend who is the service manger at our local Ford dealership who absolutely hates them. In fact, he helped me find the 7.3 that I bought 4 years ago after he took me in the back of the shop and showed me the string of 6.0's they had pulled out under warranty telling me in no uncertain terms to stay away from them! He firmly believes to this day that it's just a flawed design and was a source of major heartache for the service department.

Having said that, I know there are lots of strong 6.0's running around and that doesn't just happen by chance! So if I can find one at a decent price with a low mileage that allows me enough $$ left over to do the preventive measures right up front, I'd buy one.

I've even written out a laundry list with best guess costs that I'd plan on doing right away. I am a fair DIY mechanic and used to build my race engines so I could handle the flush, EGR cooler and Oil cooler swaps myself but I'm just not set up to do body off HG changes. My luck would be that I'd find a really nice candidate and wind up having to pay someone else to do HG's within 5k miles and eat all the crow that goes along with it! Not to mention explaining to my wife why I'm dropping 5g's in my newly aquired truck!

Nonetheless, I'm stoked about the potential of the 6.0 and am now firmly subscribed to the 6.0 threads. My 7.3 was a turd until I put the programmer on it and a stock 6.0 would pretty much take it's lunch money any day. Should I look for any particular year model or telltale signs (other than using the Insight for oil/coolant temps) of a bad 6.0. I understand that Ford went from 18mm head bolts to 20mm head bolts somewhere in the evolution. Anybody know what year that was and if it's something to be desired? Finally, would anybody have an opinion as to what would be considered too many miles if you knew nothing about the history of the truck?
Thanks again,
Gary
Old 04-25-2011, 04:17 AM
Powerstroke Techie

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Highgear, have you read this. It helps to answer most of the 6.0 issues.
Things to consider about owning a 6.0L
Old 04-25-2011, 05:09 AM

Highgear, I have researched this topic for several months. All the references to to PGREENSVT are the best I have found on the net. I have the Restore and Restore Plus; I also tracked down the Caterpillar ELC. Currently fabricating my own coolant filtration system. Don't know that I actually saved any money doing my own over the aftermarket units but I enjoy building my own stuff. If the weather will cooperate, I hope to get it all done within the week. Good luck.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by highgear View Post
I'm just getting a handle on the Gold coolant issue but, so far, what I have read seems to indicate that if you dump the Gold and go to the ELC, you are going to automatically have a clogged oil cooler pretty soon thereafter even if your ECT/EOT delta T's looked good before. I'm beginning to think just installing a coolant filter system, doing a good water flush and putting fresh Gold stuff back in is just about as good of a preventive measure and a whole lot cheaper for little peace of mind. I was considering buying a 6.0 with 104k on the odometer to replace my departed 7.3 with the understanding that I needed to hold back a couple of grand for coolant flush, coolant filter, egr delete or bulletproof egr unit and change the oil cooler only if needed. All this was to, hopefully, stave off the dreaded head gasket fiasco. I was planning on a mild tuner and exhaust for performance upgrades and going for dependability rather that a tire scorcher. It sounds like I'd just be killing a functioning oil cooler to switch to ELC and from what I understand, even the ELC stuff doesn't need to be ran more that 50,000 miles or so. Am I missing something here?
The more I read, the more I liked my 7.3! I threw a 4" exhaust, and Edge Evolution and a TIMAR air filter on and the thing was solid as an anvil and ran like a scalded cat! Damn car thieves anyway!
Whether your oil cooler clogs when flushing the cooling system really depends on the state of the cooling system. With a cooling system gunked up like caissiel's picture shows I would expect the possibility of a flush clogging the system and plan to replace the oil cooler. As he indicated his oil cooler was already clogged so he replaced it. ELC coolant is good for 300-500k miles depending on the brand, so I am not sure why you are saying 50k. The hose in the picture clearly shows why I recommend that you get rid of the G-05 coolant that Ford uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
This what was in my hoses with the gold stuff and it all disapered with the ELC. My differential has not changed, The coolant filter has not picked up the goo so the ELC has absorded it all. I know ELC can take some contaminents and feel safe now. Even the reservoir is now clear af all deposits. My Cooler was plugged with the same goo, before the flush though, and I had to change it. Sometime I wished I did the flush with the old cooler there to see if the ELC would have cleaned it.
So we did by friends truck and we just flushed out the coolant and installed the ELC and so far the ECT/EOT differential has not changed at all.

I have an other friend that we will do the flush and see if the ELC with improve the coolant flow in the cooler I think its a goo that the ELC can desolve sometime. I would hope I am right.
You are correct in that the ELC will help to clean your system out but it needs to be able to flow to do that. If the oil cooler is clogged it doesn't allow the ELC to flow and therefore can't fix a clogged oil cooler. The oil cooler needs to be replaced.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.