warm up time - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-22-2011, 06:28 PM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
warm up time

How long do you guys warm up your engines? certain amount of time or certain ECT/EOT?

I usually warm mine up to about 108 degrees ECT, then take it easy til after 150 deg ECT, and never get the boost up til it's at 190 ECT. Just wondering if it's important?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2011, 07:01 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Personally, I don't have a problem starting the truck, waiting a minute or less and then taking off slowly....not romping on it. HOWEVER, if I have to haul with it, I always let it warm up well....150+ ECT. My belief...that if you aren't going to be putting a major load on the engine, just a short idle time is fine. But anything that is going to tax (stress) the engine/tranny, I want the lubrication flowing well. And besides, the power (torque) from these diesels require heat for full combustion such as why I let her warm up well before pulling a hard load.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd4010 View Post
Personally, I don't have a problem starting the truck, waiting a minute or less and then taking off slowly....not romping on it. HOWEVER, if I have to haul with it, I always let it warm up well....150+ ECT. My belief...that if you aren't going to be putting a major load on the engine, just a short idle time is fine. But anything that is going to tax (stress) the engine/tranny, I want the lubrication flowing well. And besides, the power (torque) from these diesels require heat for full combustion such as why I let her warm up well before pulling a hard load.
+1 .
Old 04-23-2011, 05:55 AM

I have been taking off as soon as I can shift it for the past 42 years and never saw any dirt in my engines and all my vehicles have been mostly junked after the body gets to old.
A diesel will heat up only when it is working and heating them whiile appying power from the power train is as good as sitting Idle with the turbo shut to create heat.

When I tow I just take it easy for the first mile or so till the temperature of the oil is at 160F. Oil Temperature is what is important not water temperature, but the cooler usualy keep it at 5to8F lower then the water when heating up.
Old 04-23-2011, 10:26 AM

Same here I try to let it run for 5-10 min before I leave but sometimes I cant and I just take it easy until its warmed up
Old 04-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Premium Member

I probably wont warm it up as long as I had been then. I know I'm wasting a lot of fuel sitting there warming up, especially when it's cold out and I'm running the high idle.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
I wait a good 3-5 mintues or so. If it is SUPER COLD and I am not pluged in e.g. at work in the middle of winter, i will wait 10-15 minutes. But that is my time when I can smoke a backwood and get caught up on calls after work
Old 04-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Banned

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
under 30secs is what i wait. then its driving time.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:16 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
I let mine run for a minute or two while I get my seatbelt on and get situated then I drop it in gear and head out easy. I don't romp on it till it's up over 160*.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:48 AM

old thread, i know, but i didn't want to start a new one for the same thing.

I just got an 06 6.0 a few days ago, and its starting to get chilly (not cold yet) in maine now (probably 20 degrees normally in the morning). I've noticed that if i just idle it to get it to warm up, it takes much more than 10 minutes to get up to temp, driving it will get there in 4-5 minutes.

I have been letting it idle for ~5, then driving it (although its still cold, aftermarket gauges say im circa 105ish, but its hasn't even registered on the stock gauge yet) and it warms up pretty quick from there.

After reading this thread im assuming this is normal, I just wasn't sure, and wanted to make sure my truck was doing its thing appropriately. I would normally assume stuck open thermostat, but when the temp starts to climb it goes right to its happy spot (~180-184f ECT) and stays there nice.

My gas junkers will warm up ideling pretty quick no problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.