Looking to get an Excursion... couple concerns. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Looking to get an Excursion... couple concerns.

Hello Everyone,
First off im a first time poster but ive been lurking on these forums for a few days gathering intell and just being nosy.

Im looking at getting a 05 Excursion with the 6.0l Diesel but I gotta admit the horror stories of the head bolts /Coolant issues on these things has me concerned. Im wanting it to tow around my boat and dual axel car trailer.. but 95% of the time im gonna be just hauling kids and groceries... But for the other 5% I want something I can depend on. I know I want a Diesel SUV and everything in my driveway right now is a Dodge but they just dont have anything to offer in that field except a Liberty that I cant tow anything with so ive narrowed in on the Excursion since my lifted 01 Dodge Gasser is barely getting 6mpg and I need something bigger now since ive expanded my family since buying the dodge.
There is a few Excursions local to me but the one im really liking is an 05 6.0l its got 120k Miles and its loaded, but stock... No Programmer, lift etc.. I plan on putting some type of programmer on it to boost the MPG so im wondering if there is anything I should do before that, is it really worth the trouble of replacing the head bolts or is there just a bunch of hype going around giving these motors a bad name.. Or is there an actual issue with them and its best for me just to keep looking untill I find a 7.3l that I like?
I also know there is a coolant issue with the Gold stuff from Ford so I plan on flushing the entire system to get rid of it regardless of which motor I get but whats the best replacement fluid to use?

Any other information on this subject is more then welcome.

Thanks!
-WT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

I was in the exact same situation. Just bight mine a month ago that sounds just like the one you want. So far I love it. I have a lot of plans to upgrade (still getting a feel of what everyone prefers). The only thing I can suggest is to look it over real good and get the price down for things like, suspension feeling like it might need work, brakes worn these trucks are heavy, and improper maintenance. I bought mine from a ford dealership and they said it was just serviced by them. I redid all the service and found they hadnt replaced the fuel filter underneath, just the top, they didnt do a coolant flush which was due by the records, and they didnt even use proper oil filter.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:02 PM
The Silent Service

Howdy and welcome to the ORG.

When you are in the market for a 6.0L, you need to get all the information you can get. Start running through the threads in the 6.0L, the coolant and motor issues are well documented, and the aftermarket has responded.

Get the Oasis Report, to find out what has been done at a Ford garage to the Ex and what issues keep popping up. Then get the Carfax, or other report to see if its been in any wrecks.

The 6.0L needs regular maintenance, and be regularly worked. Know what you're getting into, and you'll be fine. I'm very pleased with my 6.0L, wouldn't trade it for another truck on the road.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:11 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

just bought mine with 192,000 miles on the odo. the person who had it previously followed the manufacturer recommended service to a t. this thing is like brand new. very lucky find, had the service records from day one and i there had never been a head gasket or egr cooler replacement.
Old 04-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTrash View Post
Hello Everyone,
First off im a first time poster but ive been lurking on these forums for a few days gathering intell and just being nosy.

Im looking at getting a 05 Excursion with the 6.0l Diesel but I gotta admit the horror stories of the head bolts /Coolant issues on these things has me concerned. Im wanting it to tow around my boat and dual axel car trailer.. but 95% of the time im gonna be just hauling kids and groceries... But for the other 5% I want something I can depend on. I know I want a Diesel SUV and everything in my driveway right now is a Dodge but they just dont have anything to offer in that field except a Liberty that I cant tow anything with so ive narrowed in on the Excursion since my lifted 01 Dodge Gasser is barely getting 6mpg and I need something bigger now since ive expanded my family since buying the dodge.
There is a few Excursions local to me but the one im really liking is an 05 6.0l its got 120k Miles and its loaded, but stock... No Programmer, lift etc.. I plan on putting some type of programmer on it to boost the MPG so im wondering if there is anything I should do before that, is it really worth the trouble of replacing the head bolts or is there just a bunch of hype going around giving these motors a bad name.. Or is there an actual issue with them and its best for me just to keep looking untill I find a 7.3l that I like?
I also know there is a coolant issue with the Gold stuff from Ford so I plan on flushing the entire system to get rid of it regardless of which motor I get but whats the best replacement fluid to use?

Any other information on this subject is more then welcome.

Thanks!
-WT
Sounds like you are looking for what I have.. .I just bought my 05 EX a couple months ago and I didnt realize the amounts of maintenance either, but I do love my EX.. Its the Eddie Bauer and had 119,000 on it when I got it from original owner. From my experience, I would see if you could find someone near you with a tuner or monitor like the Edge Insight or Evolution that you can plug into the OBD port inside the cab and monitor the temps. Get it up to speed and get the Tuner to display the ECT and EOT and make sure they dont exceed 15 degrees...Run it for 30-45 minutes on hiway at 65-70 mph. IF the temps are good, then I would proceed to checking balljoints...THose are a pain to replace.. trust me, I did mine... If you can get good temps and the balljoints are good, then I would proceed with the purchase.. Just my 2 cents.. Someone else on here will have input as well..
Old 04-22-2011, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Read the first link in my signature.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsracer View Post
Sounds like you are looking for what I have.. .I just bought my 05 EX a couple months ago and I didnt realize the amounts of maintenance either, but I do love my EX.. Its the Eddie Bauer and had 119,000 on it when I got it from original owner. From my experience, I would see if you could find someone near you with a tuner or monitor like the Edge Insight or Evolution that you can plug into the OBD port inside the cab and monitor the temps. Get it up to speed and get the Tuner to display the ECT and EOT and make sure they dont exceed 15 degrees...Run it for 30-45 minutes on hiway at 65-70 mph. IF the temps are good, then I would proceed to checking balljoints...THose are a pain to replace.. trust me, I did mine... If you can get good temps and the balljoints are good, then I would proceed with the purchase.. Just my 2 cents.. Someone else on here will have input as well..
FYI... all this I learned from PGreenSVT
Old 04-22-2011, 07:28 PM

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
First thing I did when I was Ex shopping was getting an Oasis report on each of the units I was interested in buying.

If you can find one in good shape with a good Oasis and ARP's that would be the winner in my mind.

If you are 100% gonna get an Excursion buy an Edge Insight and take it on the test drives. I did and found some codes on the one I bought. The seller must have been told that it was bad injectors because he came down a couple grand pretty quick! It ended up being a bad ficm throwing injector codes. The original reason I brought the Insight was to look for a bad oil cooler.
Old 04-23-2011, 02:34 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks for the information Everyone, Espically PGreen.. Great writeup!
Ill definatly be picking up an Edge and getting the Oasis report, that 6.0 I had my eye on has since been sold Soo the search continues!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.