Edge Insight used for test drive - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Edge Insight used for test drive

Newbie question:
Can the Edge Insight be used as a health check tool when test driving various 6.0s?.

I find my self needing to replace my '02 7.3 after it was stolen and I believe that an 06-07 with the 6.0L will be my next truck. I had the Edge Evolution on my 7.3 and was quite happy with it. I tow a 30 foot 5th wheeler and often have a trailer full of toys tagging along behind the 5er so I need some muscle.

For various reasons (the biggest being what the insurance is willing to re-imburse me), the 06-07 models seem to be where I'll seek a replacement. I like some things they've done to the interior and I really like the tow/haul feature on the tranny. I've been doing quite a lot of research and gotten familiar with the common 6.0 EGR/Oil cooler malady and the variuos remedies.

Anyway back to my question concerning the Edge Insight. I want be able to use the Insight to watch the ECT/EOT's during test drives to determine if the oil cooler might be clogged. This would tell me a lot about the truck and might save me some money on the purchase price or tell me to just walk away. My Evolution married itself to the VIN number and I don't think I could have just stuck it over in another 7.3 and changed the tune. Since the Insight is just a sensor readout device, will I be able to move it from one truck to another during test drives or is the unit married to the first vehicle it connects to?
Thanks in advance,
Gary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 03:58 AM
Premium Member

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
It doesn't "Marry" itself since it's not a tuner. It just works as a gauge and give you readings from what the computer is seeing. It doesn't pull the stock tuning out and replace it with a different tune so you can plug it into any vehicle. I have a buddy of mine that has been diagnosing some issues on his '05 so when he comes by, we just take it out of my truck and plug it into his to see what his truck is doing.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:02 AM
Chapter Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by highgear View Post
Newbie question:
Can the Edge Insight be used as a health check tool when test driving various 6.0s?.

Since the Insight is just a sensor readout device, will I be able to move it from one truck to another during test drives or is the unit married to the first vehicle it connects to?
Thanks in advance,
Gary
Yes you can.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:21 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

if its an 05' and newer you won't have to type in the VIN #. 03 & 04' you will need to type in the VIN for the insight to spool up
Old 04-21-2011, 04:12 PM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Thanks

Thanks to all for the replies. I will sorley miss my 7.3 but I think I can make a 6.0 live. I'll just plan on sinking a couple of grand in it right off the bat. If I can find a low mileage 7.3 that's not priced higher than a cat's back that would probably be first choice but pickings are slim out there for low mileage 7.3's. That said, I'm willing to give a 6.0 a swing. It'll also take me 2-3 weeks to haggle with the insurance comapany. Wish me luck
Old 04-22-2011, 03:28 AM
Premium Member

Using the Insight as a portable gage when test driving trucks is not only possible, but recommended. I was going to sell my insight (being replaced by an on-board computer) but then I started thinking how convenient it would be to have a portable scanner at all times. Mine will be in the tool box once removed from the truck, for sure!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.