want a 6.0 but im scared - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 10:12 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
want a 6.0 but im scared

i went up to the dealer i bought my cummins from. im trading it straight for 1 of 4 superdutys. there are 2 6.0 diesels one ccsb and eclb. and 2 v10s both ccsb. i really want any of them but the 6.0 is the nicest one. he probably wont trade for that particular one but well see. i want a 6.0 diesel over the v10 simply for fuel mileage and when i have to tow my backhoe around. but im scared of the 6.0. one has 115k and one has 197k. the oner with 197k has 8 new injectors. and i would do the EGR delete and the updated oil cooler as well as a coolant flush. im scared to buy it because i keep hearing horror stories, as well as people telling me theyre hit and miss. i want the powerful diesel under the hood, but i need it to start everyday because its my only car. im in high school, so it needs to work every day, get me to and from, and work hard for me after 2oclock to whenever i feel like quitting. and im on a budget so i cant be replacing injectors and turbos. im scared of the headgaskets going without studs, even though ill keep it at stock power. im scared of the VGT vanes seizing up, and im scared of the cold start issue (which im not too sure about anyway) that may arise in -5 degree temps in new england. someone give me some insight on the truck and whether or not i should go 6.0 diesel or 6.8 v10 which i know are extremely reliable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 10:38 AM

Get an oasis on both 6.0's. then bring em back here and post em up. No reason to fear a 6.0, and no reason to buy a v10
Old 04-20-2011, 10:43 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by navistardiesel View Post
but im scared of the 6.0. one has 115k and one has 197k. the oner with 197k has 8 new injectors. That's a lot of miles, but I've heard of 6.0's in the 500-600k miles too. Firs tthing to do it get an OASIS report from the dealer, it will tell you ANY warranty repairs that have been done, to tell you if you're looking at a problem child or not. and i would do the EGR delete and the updated oil cooler as well as a coolant flush. All goo things to be done on a new/used truck im scared to buy it because i keep hearing horror stories, as well as people telling me theyre hit and miss. Most issues from the 6.0 are from owner neglect, and some things that Ford should have put on the instrument panel before it left the assembly line. Get a good monitor like a CTS or a Scanguage to monitor the EOT and ECT to be sure your oil cooler is in proper working order. i want the powerful diesel under the hood, but i need it to start everyday because its my only car. im in high school, so it needs to work every day, get me to and from, and work hard for me after 2oclock to whenever i feel like quitting. and im on a budget so i cant be replacing injectors and turbos. im scared of the headgaskets going without studs, even though ill keep it at stock power Blown HG's have been attributed to a plugged oil cooler in most cases. The oil cooler pugs, pops the EGR cooler, and BAM you have coolant flowing into your cylinders, popping HG's . im scared of the VGT vanes seizing upNothing to worry too hard about, it's an easy fix, and will not leave you stranded if it does bind up. Work the 6.0 hard, and it will do the same for you , and im scared of the cold start issue (which im not too sure about anyway) that may arise in -5 degree temps in new england. As long as it's plugged in, and your batteries are good you shouldn't have any issues
Replies in bold

All things will fail eventually, but its a matter of preventing them before they go too far (Hg's). Maintenance is a BIG factor for any diesel, especially the 6.0. Dirty worn out oil will turn your piggy bank into a handout bank, when you're injectors cease to work. Coolant should be flushed every 50k, or you can flush the Ford gold out and put in an ELC

FWIW, I LOVE my 6.0, and wouldn't trade it for a 6.4, a 7.3, or even a 6.7
Old 04-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

If your scared of the 6.0 buy it and bring it to me with your checkbook and we will take care of all your fears
Old 04-20-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfreak4life View Post
If your scared of the 6.0 buy it and bring it to me with your checkbook and we will take care of all your fears
if i was plumbin 40 hours a week i would haha. but im on a budget man. still in high school. gotta get through graduation before i can start turnin over large amounts of money
Old 04-20-2011, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
Replies in bold

All things will fail eventually, but its a matter of preventing them before they go too far (Hg's). Maintenance is a BIG factor for any diesel, especially the 6.0. Dirty worn out oil will turn your piggy bank into a handout bank, when you're injectors cease to work. Coolant should be flushed every 50k, or you can flush the Ford gold out and put in an ELC

FWIW, I LOVE my 6.0, and wouldn't trade it for a 6.4, a 7.3, or even a 6.7
this helped alot, really put me at ease about buying it, im a freak about maintenance and that oil will get changed 3000 on the dot. i dont even care if thats too early, if it prevents problems thats the way im doing it
Old 04-20-2011, 12:47 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
if i was plumbin 40 hours a week i would haha. but im on a budget man. still in high school. gotta get through graduation before i can start turnin over large amounts of money
High school? Dude, don't get a 6.0 or even a diesel. Save your money. I'm sure you can find others ways to get laid.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:55 PM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Quote:
this helped alot, really put me at ease about buying it, im a freak about maintenance and that oil will get changed 3000 on the dot. i dont even care if thats too early, if it prevents problems thats the way im doing it
I don't know that you're going to want to change it every 3k on a HS budget. 100 bucks for one oil/filter change . The 6.0 is a machine, just wants to work
Old 04-20-2011, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose350 View Post
High school? Dude, don't get a 6.0 or even a diesel. Save your money. I'm sure you can find others ways to get laid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006PSDSD View Post
I don't know that you're going to want to change it every 3k on a HS budget. 100 bucks for one oil/filter change . The 6.0 is a machine, just wants to work

Both are really reasonable comments. The 6.0 requires meticulous maintenance and depending on how much you drive it is expensive. As soon as you buy it you are going to need to put $1000 into it just to sort it out. I strongly recommend 5w40 synthetic oil to avoid problems with injectors, turbo's etc. That's 16 qts at $8 ea. for $128 + $10 for filter. $30 for fuel filters every other oil change. If you don't stay on top of it religiously a new set of injectors will set you back another $2k or so and this is if you do all of your own work.

Just something to consider.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:28 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
The 6L is great, take care of it. As far as buying one when you are in High School.... Tip of the day, spending is optimism!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.