No exhaust after the Downpipe - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 08:16 AM
Powerstroke.org Rookie

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
No exhaust after the Downpipe

I tried doing a search first before posting but I didn't find any info, so forgive me for an repost. I have seen guys with no cat and muffler with good results. Has anybody tried to run no exhaust after the Downpipe? I have a 9 second 1988 Mustang with a 306 and T70 turbo with no exhaust after the Dowpipe with great results. I am not looking to drag my truck, just seeing what I could to do to get more power and better MPG. I have a 2006 F250 with 4" exhaust with no cat but has a muffler and an upgraded Downpipe, upgraded air filter, and a SCT tuner. I odered the truck with 3:73 gears with Factory 20" wheels, is this a bad thing? On my Mustang, more of a freeway gear and a taller tire worked great with my turbo setup on the drag strip, creating more of a load to get more out of the turbo, but hard on the tranny. I just did a 550 miles trip and just got 18.3 MPG, so if I remove the muffler or the whole exhaust after the Downpipe would this give me a better MPG and more power? And how would it be with towing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 08:25 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

dumping it right after the downpipe is not really going to give you any power gains on these trucks compared to running 4" the rest of the way back. In my truck, I want it quiet in the cab, and it is quiet in the cab with my MBRP 4" exhaust, and if I roll down the windows and stab it, it comes to life nicely. I had a dump before the rear axle in my 86 diesel F250 and it COVERED the under of the truck and all of the tailgate in black soot. Another thing to think about.

I have my 76mm turbo dumped just behind the front right tire in my mustang as well, and I love ithaha
Old 04-20-2011, 09:14 AM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
What class are you going to run? You might be required to have a stack if draging in a class.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:30 AM
Illiana Chapter Director

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racsirx View Post
I am not looking to drag my truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galaxie View Post
What class are you going to run? You might be required to have a stack if draging in a class.
Someone read wrong.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
when i was looking into an exhaust and was reading through threads, most guys end up at the least, dumping it right before the rear tire and out the side. complaints of the smell getting in the cab and not being able to get it out. also, sooting up the underside of the truck. I've got a MBRP turbo back straight pipe, no muff and no kitty. And its plenty loud, not to mention sounds like a jet plane,but then has a mean growl to it when getting on it and when RPMs are above 2k-2250k. I've been toying with the idea of adding a diesel muffler/resonator to tame it some.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:50 PM
NOT a Democrat

Send a message via AIM to Galaxie
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanna6powerstroke View Post

Someone read wrong.

AH HA! Yes, why do I sign in at work! lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.