Ford Cant fix it! Starting problem! Now what? - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2011, 04:13 AM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Ford Cant fix it! Starting problem! Now what?

My truck is an 03 and the engine has 105k on it. Since day one when i installed the engine it starts and runs for about 3 seconds then dies. Then it tries to start 4-6 times (hits and dies) then it starts and runs fine. For the rest of the day it starts and runs just fine but you let it sit overnight and the same problem crops up. Ford replaced the oil filter and cap (even though it had a motorcraft filter in it) cleaned the bypass valve in the bottom of the filter housing, they pressure tested the high pressure oil system by pulling the passenger valve cover and air testing it. They said there were no leaks found by doing this. They said it has to be a high pressure bleed off somewhere but they dont know where. They said it is almost like the hpop reservoir is leaking but its cast into the block so it cant. The 2 diesel mechanics there dont have a clue what else it could be. They said they could tear the engine down but they would be taking a best guess as to what it was. They also said the low pressure side is building pressure as it should.
Anyhow i am hoping someone here can help me out. Other things that have been checked and are fine are FICM and Fuel pressure. It has the latest strategy as well. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2011, 08:24 AM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
did you get a second opinion? to me sounds like the symptoms my truck had my ficm and hpop went bad.

Last edited by UserError; 04-20-2011 at 08:45 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Old 04-20-2011, 09:35 AM

Well its not the FICM. Voltage on it stays a constant 48.5 according to my scanguage.
Old 04-20-2011, 09:48 AM

Somewhat of an update. Talked to the mechanic at ford directly instead of the service manager and the second mechanic who didnt actually work onthe truck. He said it has to be something in the low pressure oil system that is leaking down overnight. If it was the high pressure oil system it wouldnt even fire the first time until it cranked long enough to build the pressure to fire the injectors but since it fires and runs for a few seconds right away he believes the high pressure side of it is fine and it dies because the low pressure side has to play catch up. He said the low pressure oil pump is working fine but somewhere between it and the high pressure side there is a problem with a leak down. so maybe that will help you guys a bit figure out whats up. Thanks
Old 04-20-2011, 11:25 AM
Unapologetically American

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
good info though. TTT
Old 04-20-2011, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by DENALI View Post
Somewhat of an update. Talked to the mechanic at ford directly instead of the service manager and the second mechanic who didnt actually work onthe truck. He said it has to be something in the low pressure oil system that is leaking down overnight. If it was the high pressure oil system it wouldnt even fire the first time until it cranked long enough to build the pressure to fire the injectors but since it fires and runs for a few seconds right away he believes the high pressure side of it is fine and it dies because the low pressure side has to play catch up. He said the low pressure oil pump is working fine but somewhere between it and the high pressure side there is a problem with a leak down. so maybe that will help you guys a bit figure out whats up. Thanks
I don't believe that to be true. The HPOP draws from the reservoir under the oil cooler. The reservoir holds 2 qts of oil give or take a little. I don't believe it is running out of oil in 2 or 3 seconds with that amount of oil to draw from.

When cranking what is the ICP voltage and the IPR duty cycle? What is the IPR ramp rate? Sounds to me like your dealership hires parts changers and not mechanics. Is there some where else you can take it that knows the 6.0?
Old 04-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

your hpop is on its way out, my truck did this for about 6 months straight, then all symptoms went away for about a month, truck ran great. Was driving the truck to work one morning and turned the corner to come into town, got up to speed, "Whammy" lost all power, coasted to the side of the road. Over nighted a HPOP from sunrise ford in cali and she ran strong until i blew the headgaskets racing a duraturd
Old 04-20-2011, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGreenSVT View Post
I don't believe that to be true. The HPOP draws from the reservoir under the oil cooler. The reservoir holds 2 qts of oil give or take a little. I don't believe it is running out of oil in 2 or 3 seconds with that amount of oil to draw from.

When cranking what is the ICP voltage and the IPR duty cycle? What is the IPR ramp rate? Sounds to me like your dealership hires parts changers and not mechanics. Is there some where else you can take it that knows the 6.0?

I dont know what to do or to think it is at this point. Can any of the above be checked with a scanguage? There isnt another dealer around within an hour not to mention they charged me almost $400 for this non fix. I guess i will just drive it for now and see what i can figure out when i tear into it for a egr delete and oil cooler change. Anyone know any good 6.0 guys in the Kansas area? At this point i would even drive to surrounding states just to get this figured out!
Old 04-20-2011, 01:42 PM
Powerstroke.org Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by DENALI View Post
I dont know what to do or to think it is at this point. Can any of the above be checked with a scanguage? There isnt another dealer around within an hour not to mention they charged me almost $400 for this non fix. I guess i will just drive it for now and see what i can figure out when i tear into it for a egr delete and oil cooler change. Anyone know any good 6.0 guys in the Kansas area? At this point i would even drive to surrounding states just to get this figured out!
bring it by, I'll take a swing at it, I won't give up as easy as the ford tech, ill swap the HPOP out of my personal pickup for testing purposes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.