Best way to test headgaskets - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
Powerstroke.org is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2011, 04:44 PM
Compression Ignition Addict

Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Best way to test headgaskets

Looking for suggestions. I have seen lots of youtube videos and read tons. Not seeing 100% reliable way.

See my signature for what I have and have done.

I was going to test the cooling system PSI and I believe this would be reliable anything over 16PSI would mean there bad right?

or is there a way with my insight or oil test maybe??

mah77 has me scared since his are bad with low miles and low delta.

I am just doing this as a precautionary since my oil cooler was clogged pretty good I had 27 degree delta. I didn't loose any coolant. My EGR cooler looked ok and I didn't see any wetness in the intake, but it was sure full of soot and gunk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Slacker

Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Here is a tester and a video of it in action courtesy of BulletProof Diesel. Don't be overly concerned about head gaskets until you have a legitimate problem. Get the bubble tester and check for yourself.

LINK
Old 04-18-2011, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Eye View Post
Here is a tester and a video of it in action courtesy of BulletProof Diesel. Don't be overly concerned about head gaskets until you have a legitimate problem. Get the bubble tester and check for yourself.

LINK
So if no bubbles no problem then?

I seen this but wouldn't I always have bubbles because of pressure in the system?

I know I am probably being paranoid but I want peace of mind again. I was pretty angry after putting my insight on and seeing my oil cooler was clogged and my ficm was bad. I kept up with my maintenance and played by the rules. Two dealers said I would void the warranty if I put gauges on it.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:25 PM
Slacker

I hear you and was in the EXACT same boat as you. That's exactly why I got the complete BulletProof setup after my warranty expired. I didn't want to have to go through that whole nightmare again after having 4 bad EGR coolers and 1 bad oil cooler. Those warranty invoices were expensive and thankfully I didn't have to pay except the $100 deductible. I now have peace of mind once again and I tow a heavy trailer here in the desert.

Give those guys a call and you will see that they know what they are talking about.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:00 AM

Hello,
Im not trying to be cheap but I thought I remember seeing plugs like this at home depot but with no hole..? I would like to get one of these but almost $40 seems like alot after paying shipping. Im going to stop by a few stores today but I know Ive seen plugs like these around here somewhere. Im thinking just buy a rubber plug and a hose and find a fitting and make my own.
I just thought I would ask you guys if you remember seeings plugs like these in your home depot,lowes or ACE stores before I spend $40 and wait a week for it to get here.

Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 AM

Now I remember were ive seen these rubber plugs.. Its at our swimming pool store.. I havent went there yet but they sell these to plug your pipes for winter. I have not been there to see what sizes they have though,Im going to stop there on my way home from work today.

Last edited by SharkDiver; 08-02-2011 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:50 AM

Well it dont seem like anyone cares but I got everything I needed at my local pool store and Home Depot for under $7.

enjoy
Old 08-03-2011, 07:03 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkDiver View Post
Well it dont seem like anyone cares but I got everything I needed at my local pool store and Home Depot for under $7.

enjoy
Can you post up some pics of the setup? People are always looking for ways to do stuff better for less.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:31 AM

I have pictures that I will post when i get home.. Also it seems there is a better way to test for headgaskets and that is using the HERO kit way. Im sure you know about this but I just found it. Im going to buy a gauge today on my way home and some hose to make this HERO kit.
Old 08-03-2011, 07:47 AM
Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharkDiver View Post
I have pictures that I will post when i get home.. Also it seems there is a better way to test for headgaskets and that is using the HERO kit way. Im sure you know about this but I just found it. Im going to buy a gauge today on my way home and some hose to make this HERO kit.
I haven't heard of the HERO kit or that method to test for HG leaks... Please post up what you have found. Thank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.